Harman air wash question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
Has anyone ever removed the air wash tube and found sufficient Ash in the tube which affected the glass not staying clean? I doubt that much Ash can get in there but maybe I'm wrong?

Reactions: jackhammer
Has anyone ever removed the air wash tube and found sufficient Ash in the tube which affected the glass not staying clean? I doubt that much Ash can get in there but maybe I'm wrong?

The glass in my new-to-me P61 was getting dirty very quickly. I took the OAK fitting off the back of the stove and saw that the airwash tube was clogged solid with dust. I loosened it up with a small screwdriver and shop-vac'd it out. No more dirty glass. The previous owner did not have an outside air vent so I guess it sucked in household dust for 6 or 7 years and clogged the tube.

Reactions: jackhammer
The glass in my new-to-me P61 was getting dirty very quickly. I took the OAK fitting off the back of the stove and saw that the airwash tube was clogged solid with dust. I loosened it up with a small screwdriver and shop-vac'd it out. No more dirty glass. The previous owner did not have an outside air vent so I guess it sucked in household dust for 6 or 7 years and clogged the tube.
OAK fitting? are u referring to the actual round stationary inlet duct in back of stove that a 3" OAK hose connects to?

Yes, I think there are 3 bolts holding it on. When its off you can see the round end of the airwash tube. There may be another way to clean this tube, but accessing it this way worked for me.

I’m not having issues with mine, but was wondering the same thing. I’ve never looked into taking that apart. Good to know!

I had a look at mine inside the fire chamber...is there gaskets that may need to be replaced if you remove the bolts and tube itself?

Yes, I think there are 3 bolts holding it on. When its off you can see the round end of the airwash tube. There may be another way to clean this tube, but accessing it this way worked for me.
my stove is in a tight corner as u can see in my avatar..
might be easier to try and remove the air tube itself inside the firebox..

I would not pull the air wash tube out. I know that tube goes straight back to where the inlet air flapper is. I dont remember if that flapper opens all the way horizontal or not. I would recommend cleaning from the back than risking messing something out in the firebox.

I would not pull the air wash tube out. I know that tube goes straight back to where the inlet air flapper is. I dont remember if that flapper opens all the way horizontal or not. I would recommend cleaning from the back than risking messing something out in the firebox.
I would imagine that through the back, you should be able to open the flap and look in there with a flashlight to see what's in the tube?

I would imagine that through the back, you should be able to open the flap and look in there with a flashlight to see what's in the tube?
If i remember right, the flapper is built into the OAK fitting so comes off with it (flap does not open a full 90 degrees). This is an easy three bolts and gives better access to the airwash. No gaskets needed with the fitting. After removing the OAK fitting, the end of the airwash tube is offset to the left so it is a bit awkward to see completely inside it but easily accessible with vacuum or compressed air. There is a vinyl tube that hangs down into the airwash tube, not sure what it is but be careful not to damage if you are digging out compacted dust like I had to.

If i remember right, the flapper is built into the OAK fitting so comes off with it (flap does not open a full 90 degrees). This is an easy three bolts and gives better access to the airwash. No gaskets needed with the fitting. After removing the OAK fitting, the end of the airwash tube is offset to the left so it is a bit awkward to see completely inside it but easily accessible with vacuum or compressed air. There is a vinyl tube that hangs down into the airwash tube, not sure what it is but be careful not to damage if you are digging out compacted dust like I had to.
Thanks. If the tube is clear, then has to be the door gasket. I replaced it over summer but that right side where the teardrop stain is will not pass the dollar bill test as I can pull it out on that side. Might need to go next size thickness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
Let me know how you make out...my teardrops have returned...

For anybody interested,look in the back of your manual,in the parts list without a number to coincide with a picture,you may find "air wash o-rings",this is what seals the front tube.I have never taken one out,I have always done what Don says,blow out with compressed air,but,I can see where they may split,and create a problem.I will ask my Harman tech buddy,next time I see him.

Reactions: Washed-Up
The tube you are referring to is your Vac switch tube.

Let me know how you make out...my teardrops have returned...
the gasket is a 3/8"
but, somewhere i read long time ago that a member talked of using next size up which would be 1/2"...[not sure if the a problem of closing the door would arise.]
i know when I replaced the gasket it still failed the dollar bill test on the right side...
i can actually see there is a difference when the door is closed as the right side " seam" is a smidgen wider than the right side.

the gasket is a 3/8"
but, somewhere i read long time ago that a member talked of using next size up which would be 1/2"...[not sure if the a problem of closing the door would arise.]
i know when I replaced the gasket it still failed the dollar bill test on the right side...
i can actually see there is a difference when the door is closed as the right side " seam" is a smidgen wider than the right side.

Hind sight is 20/20 but one might bed the next gasket in a deeper layer of silicone especially on the right side. That's my plan anyway;)

Hugh