Harman Exception vs TL 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acesover

May 19, 2008
Long Island, NY
i was told yesterday that the 300 is the new exception and that they werent carring the exception anymore at this dealer. floormodle is 1300 dollors. i was thinking of buying the 300 but its $2200. is the exception a comparable stove?

acesover said:
i was told yesterday that the 300 is the new exception and that they werent carring the exception anymore at this dealer. floormodle is 1300 dollors. i was thinking of buying the 300 but its $2200. is the exception a comparable stove?

When I purchased my TL-300 for 2K I also had a chance of getting the TL-200 with all the trimmings (Gold Trim, Grill, Fireplace screen) for around 1.4K. The TL-300 has a redesigned firedome package that can take 2x the heat as the TL-200, it also has an access panel to the fire dome package compared to the TL-200. This indicated to me that there might be an issue with the fire dome package of TL-200 which was confirmed by the dealer when he said that allot of people have been overheating and causing damage to the fire dome package of the TL-200. They have in the past made modifications to strengthen it, so I do not know if the floor model that you are looking at has the mods to its firedome package or not. You have to remember when you place it into after burn the temps in the fire dome package can be up to 3x the heat of the stove top. So if stove top says 500 then the fire dome could be heating to 1.5K!

I herd that they were having issues with the window breaking on the afterburner view port in the back of the fire box on the 200. Not sure if thats just rumor but thats what a local dealer said.

Dont see too many Harman posts here!I have the Harman F200 Exception insert that i have used 3 times since i got it a month ago.The afterburner seems to work very well and i havent really seen that many threads showing users of this type of stove with problems.I have one question!Is the afterburner the same type used as the TL200 or TL300.This thread caught my eye when i saw that the TL200 had some problems.

I do not know if it effects the inserts.
The issue is over-firing then sending it into after burn.
Since the after burn can 2x or even 3x the temp, the dealer I talked to said the TL-200's were having some issues with cracked after burn chambers. He did mention that they did make changes to strengthen it. As long as you don't send it up to 750-800 degree range and throw it into after burn there shouldn't be an issue. For me the after burn chamber sounds like it has very similar properties to a cat stove.

MishMouse said:
I do not know if it effects the inserts.
The issue is over-firing then sending it into after burn.
Since the after burn can 2x or even 3x the temp, the dealer I talked to said the TL-200's were having some issues with cracked after burn chambers. He did mention that they did make changes to strengthen it. As long as you don't send it up to 750-800 degree range and throw it into after burn there shouldn't be an issue. For me the after burn chamber sounds like it has very similar properties to a cat stove.

Thank you MishMouse! On the 3 times i used it (bought new last month)i used a infrared thermometer laser gun to measure inside temp with a max of maybe 650 deg.I have since read that the afterburner chamber gets much hotter!im guessing 1000 plus.I had some conserns about overfireing and talked to my dealer about it.He told me that they have had very few customers calling with problems with this type of stove.!They did replace one afterburner unit for one customer but has been it.Cant really get a true temp reading of the afterburner area because of its location.I will baby my new insert with lots of TLC.I have found one active member here that has the same type of stove as mine and they have had mostly positive results from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.