Harman p38 making black ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfie78

Jan 1, 2012
NEPA
New to pellet stoves house came with it. My stove is making alot of ash as well as black ash. It is vented with double wall pie to a chimney wit a liner. The run is about 25 to 30 ft to the top. My wife and like this unit . I have saw other harmans burn no black ashes. I am concerned about any saftey issues. Anyone with help would be great thank you in advance.

When was the last time it was cleaned? Pipe size? Pellet type?
Any change in pellets?
Have you ever had gray ash?
Is the flame tight or lazy?

Yes there are some grey ashes but alot building up in the burn pot every few hours. The pipe is 4 inch the the stain less liner. Using lignietics there dark colored. Also i neeed to see what a good flame looks like. I am assuming i have a good one. Thanks

Harman's aren't know for black ash. Black = unburnt fuel.
I would first suspect a plugged OAK (intake air line)
While pellets are burning in the pot, Open a window a little then remove the intake hose and watch the flame. If the OAK is plugged then the flame would get stronger and go from yellow to white with better oxygen.
Good luck

Clean the liner.

Eric

superchips said:
wolfie78 said:
I dont have a OAK hooked up.
Unless you live in an open barn, you need an OAK.

Really? You mean I've been burning my P43 & P61A wrong?
P61A in an A-Frame (not a barn) on a lake & I have NO OAK.
P43 heating a studio apartment from a garage (not a barn)
below & NO OAK....
Oh, BTW, No black ashes either. How did I get so lucky
with NO OAK?

The ashes are gray with black in them but i think i am getting a lot. I have be burning for a week about 10 bags. Looks like she needs to be cleaned already.

wolfie78 said:
The ashes are gray with black in them but i think i am getting a lot. I have be burning for a week about 10 bags. Looks like she needs to be cleaned already.

How many times have you scraped the burn pot in that time frame?
Should have been done at least 3 times, maybe 4. I scrape both my
Harmans every other day...

I was ready to spend for a OAK until speaking with a Harman technician AND my service tech who installed my stove and advised against a OAK for my HOUSE, they both said it is not needed for my install. My service tech did COA by saying that the only sure way was to take pressure readings but he felt that would be a waste of my money.

The only reason I was considering this was that my glass gets dirty quickly.

Everyday i scrape them. The whole inside of the fire box has alot of ashes also lots of red coming out of burn pot.

After 10 bags it should be fairly bad. I recommend that you do a quick clean every day/ bag and empty it at least every 4 days/bags. That ash buildup is going to end up in your exhaust fan and pipes.
You also should consider reading the stoves orpeating manual.

fmsm said:
I was ready to spend for a OAK until speaking with a Harman technician AND my service tech who installed my stove and advised against a OAK for my HOUSE, they both said it is not needed for my install. My service tech did COA by saying that the only sure way was to take pressure readings but he felt that would be a waste of my money.

The only reason I was considering this was that my glass gets dirty quickly.
He may be right, maybe you don't HAVE TO install the OAK in order for your stove to function.
Maybe your house leaks enough make up air and doesn't have anything else competing for that air.

On the other hand, you are de rating the efficiency of the stove by as much as 20%.
The volume of air being pushed out of the exhaust will be made up mostly by the air that you just paid for to be heated by the stove. Meanwhile, that make up air will have to be sucked into the living space from the outside air.
Lets just say it's ~10` out. How much higher do you think your setting will have to be to make up for that cold air coming in while ~10 to 15% of the heated air is pulled into the intake and pushed out the chimney????

Just my thoughts! But then again, I'm not the one that would have to install it or the person making a profit selling you pellets.

wolfie78 said:
Everyday i scrape them. The whole inside of the fire box has alot of ashes also lots of red coming out of burn pot.

Have you cleared out the holes in the burnpot? Those
where the air for cumbustion has to flow to the pellets...

Hereis a pic

Attachments

• IMGP2026.jpg
    IMGP2026.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 628
Status
Not open for further replies.