Harman P43 - Any thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HopeOnWater

Sep 11, 2013
Western MA
Hello,

Looking at getting a Harman P43 for my semi-finished basement which is currently unheated (and uninsulated). Also hoping the rooms directly above on the first floor will benefit from some extra heat (no insulation between ceiling and floor).
I've never had anything from Harman before.

Any thoughts on this unit in general?
Operate well?
Maintenance issues?

Thanks!

It’s a great unit. If your trying to get some heat upstairs you may want to go with the 61 or 68 but as some will tell you, it’s hard to know how the heat will travel from the basement. Works great in some houses and not at all in others

Reactions: HopeOnWater
I have a P43 on my main floor, bought used a couple of years ago. It runs well and maintaining is easy. Replaced a St. Croix Hastings that ran well but was maintenance intensive and the hopper was too small (without any option to get an extension).

For an unheated, un-insulated basement, I might suggest a P61. The concrete will soak up a bunch of heat and even the concrete floor will take its share. When my basement was in the same condition, I installed a P61a and it did really well at keeping it warm and heating the floor above. As an only stove (when it was installed) it also heated part of my main floor. Now that I have a main floor stove, insulated the basement, and covered the floor with an airgap system and flooring, the stove is really too much (my basement is only 650 sq/ft - but also shares a wall with unheated, under-house garage). On the other hand, the ash pan is larger than the P43, so I don't have to clean it as often.

Both Harmans have been easy maintenance and run well for me.

I have a P43 on my main floor, bought used a couple of years ago. It runs well and maintaining is easy. Replaced a St. Croix Hastings that ran well but was maintenance intensive and the hopper was too small (without any option to get an extension).

For an unheated, un-insulated basement, I might suggest a P61. The concrete will soak up a bunch of heat and even the concrete floor will take its share. When my basement was in the same condition, I installed a P61a and it did really well at keeping it warm and heating the floor above. As an only stove (when it was installed) it also heated part of my main floor. Now that I have a main floor stove, insulated the basement, and covered the floor with an airgap system and flooring, the stove is really too much (my basement is only 650 sq/ft - but also shares a wall with unheated, under-house garage). On the other hand, the ash pan is larger than the P43, so I don't have to clean it as often.

Both Harmans have been easy maintenance and run well for me.

Thanks.
I did wonder about overdoing it since we will be studding and insulating the walls in the next year or two.
Based on your current situation with the basement now being insulated, do you feel the P43 would be better for you today?

Last edited:
Thanks.
I did wonder about overdoing it since we will be studding and insulating the walls in the next year or two.
Based on your current situation with the basement now being insulated, do you feel the P43 would be better for you today?

Yes, a P43 would be perfect for my basement as it is now.