Harman P43 problems burn pot and blown fuses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Rider

Jan 11, 2015
mid coast Maine
I've been reading and trying to understand the burn. I'm new to the posting side of the process, but I am in search of some answer Concerning my Harman P43 bought new 10/08. We burn 5 ton of Okies per season and hadn't bought oil since I installed the Harman.
I've had it deep cleaned annually. I scrap, vacuum and empty weekly.
I don't like to complain, but I've had a lot of issues with my Harman (I also have a Napoleon in my parents in law apartment). We have replaced 4 igniters, the mother board (warranty), the combustion blower, the burn pot and now its blowing the fuse. I replaced the fuse, it worked fine on stove temp mode for 2 weeks then the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse, plugged it in and it immediately blew with a flash pop. This is now above my pay grade.
Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

Could the igniter be blowing fuses ? Unplug it and see what happens. Also not sure if your board has one large plug , or individual plugs so you may want to try each motor separately, unplug the comb motor, auger motor, room convection blower from the board, then plug them back in one by one and see if one of them blows the fuse.. Be Sure you Unplug the power cord first during this test...Only do this if you are comfortable with electricity..

Reactions: heat seeker
Could the igniter be blowing fuses ? Unplug it and see what happens. Also not sure if your board has one large plug , or individual plugs so you may want to try each motor separately, unplug the comb motor, auger motor, room convection blower from the board, then plug them back in one by one and see if one of them blows the fuse.. Be Sure you Unplug the power cord first during this test...Only do this if you are comfortable with electricity..
I thought maybe it was the ignitor, replaced it and thats when it blew for the second time twelve days later. There is only one fuse in this unit, a 6 volt on the mother board. I'm not sure but its not a fuse that looks like it would be in position to withstand much.
Thanks for the input....

Have a couple of spare fuses handy, and do like gfreek says, that'll tell you what's shorted. I would disconnect all the motors and ignitor, etc, plug in and see if fuse lasts. If it does, connect one item at a time, then plug in. When you plug the shorted item in, the fuse will blow.

Have a couple of spare fuses handy, and do like gfreek says, that'll tell you what's shorted. I would disconnect all the motors and ignitor, etc, plug in and see if fuse lasts. If it does, connect one item at a time, then plug in. When you plug the shorted item in, the fuse will blow.
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the schematics and started to breakdown my stove. All of the components (auger, combustion and distribution blowers) wiring trails were together except for the ignitor wiring which went in the opposite direction. Decided to start with the ignitor as it seemed most logical. In disconnecting it I pulled the wire out beyond the connection and noticed wire damage. This ultimately was the problem. Thanks for the help!!!

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.