Harman P61 will not shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Kisinger

Oct 28, 2012
I fired up my P61 this fall and seem to have a couple problems I've never had before. I have always normally used the room temp setting. Found the prefect location for the sensor that keeps the room at a brisk 68 degrees. I noticed the temperature sensor didn't seem to be working right. The fire wouldn't burn down as it normally would and the room temp was way too high. I checked the sensor. The status light is not blinking a code. The sensor is in it's normal position. I turned the control on the stove to off and it would not shut down. I had to pull the pellets out of the burn pot to get it to shut down in the off position. I checked the EST. The stove is completely clean and the EST was new last winter. I thought this might be a fluke so I fired it up again and had the same problem. Even with control setting in stove temp position on the lowest setting it is getting too warm. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Couple things...Is your room sensing probe plugged in to the rear of the unit? When you say EST, you mean ESP (Exhaust Sensing Probe) correct?...It is clean? Has it been damaged by brushing the exhaust in any way? Even if it's only slightly bent, it could be permanently damaged...Where are you located & what is the outside temperature?

I have seen this before where you have a control board issue and the ignitor is not turning off and the ESP keeps the stove running cause the ignitor keeps the exhaust temps up over 95
Thanks for the reply. I failed to mention it's not a P61A. It may well be a control board issue but not because of the ignitor as it doesn't have one.

Couple things...Is your room sensing probe plugged in to the rear of the unit? When you say EST, you mean ESP (Exhaust Sensing Probe) correct?...It is clean? Has it been damaged by brushing the exhaust in any way? Even if it's only slightly bent, it could be permanently damaged...Where are you located & what is the outside temperature?
I do have the room sensing probe plugged into the unit. Sorry about the EST, I do mean ESP. It is clean and appears to be in like new condition. I'm in NE PA and it's in the 40s. My previous experience at these temperatures is the stove will burn down and simmer along until calling for heat. It's acting like it is calling for heat constantly and not simmering down.

Joe,
Is your status light blinking at all? and if so, how many blinks are there?
Status light is a steady red not blinking at all. When I turn the control to the off position the status light goes out but the stove continues to burn as if calling for heat.

Ok, checking because some folks have had that puppy sitting on concrete, or bricks, or tile flooring so it wasn't sensing air temps at all. The stove just keeps thinking it ain't at temperature yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.