Harman P61A help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tracker

Apr 3, 2008
Northern RI
Hi All,

I seem to be having a problem that hopefully I can get some suggestions on. I have a 5yr old Harman P61A. The force of the heat coming out of the front is not nearly as strong as it used to be. The last 2 or 3 seasons, I noticed that the variable speed dial is acting funny. It goes from low to high but hesitates a second on high then I have to twist it a little and it will stay high. This season the high doesn't seem to be high at all now. I can stand 5-6ft in front of it and barely feel anything coming out. Before it used to move the plants 15 or so feet away. I don't know if I should look at the motor or circuit board first. I do clean the stove often so I don't think it's a cleaning issue. Last season I had the shop where I bought it come in and clean it. He cleaned it and also plugged a probe into the circuit board and checked the voltages and whatever else they check and everything seemed ok. To him, everything was operating ok. Sorry for the long and confusing post. I plan on call my stove shop back to come out and fix it but I was curious if anyone saw this problem before.

thanks

hello-
If you are in Room Temp mode vs Stove Temp mode I believe the distribution fan will only blow as much as needed. Please let us know if your issue with the distribution fan is happening in room temp or stove temp mode or both.

Perhaps its the control potentiometers themselves (variable speed knobs). Search ebay for "harman stove" and you'll see some guy selling the potentiometers. Read his description below the picture and it sounds like whats happening to you. Maybe at least mention it to the repairman. Maybe also wait for other advice here also before proceeding.

Trylon is right...could very well be the potentiometer.....and if you are good with a soldering iron, MAYBE you can replace it....probably not though. There are folks that good here, but, sadly, most of us, the general mainstream guy, isnt going to be THAT good to change it out, OR get the correct one.

Could also simply be your distribution blower failing, OR, just dirty (Clogged with dust and animal hair....it happens)....i would remove the fan, check the squirrel cage inside, see if it isnt clogged.....while its removed, i would also make a pigtail and power it to the outlet......it should run at full power, and should blow quite alot of air.....it it doesnt, its the blower......if it does, its the potentiomenter, and the circuitboard needs tobe replaced....and it isnt under warrantee anymore. BUT, its an easy replacement! :)

Lousyweather said:
Could also simply be your distribution blower failing, OR, just dirty (Clogged with dust and animal hair....it happens)....i would remove the fan, check the squirrel cage inside, see if it isnt clogged.....while its removed, i would also make a pigtail and power it to the outlet......it should run at full power, and should blow quite alot of air.....it it doesnt, its the blower......if it does, its the potentiomenter, and the circuitboard needs tobe replaced....and it isnt under warrantee anymore. BUT, its an easy replacement! :)

I agree with Lousyweather....remove the blower assembly from the stove, clean, & bench test. Some distribution (aka room air or convection) blowers have provisions for oiling.....little caps on the motor. A couple drops of light 20w or 3-in-one will work.

what LW and Mac said first....
But you could have a dirty potentiometer however I don't think this is you're issue with velocity...
Try hooking the dist blower direct to 120 volts and see if it is any stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.