Harman P68 Won’t feed or ignite...HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstacy

Nov 1, 2008
Southeast
I installed my new P68 last night and had it running twice for about an hour each time. Each time it would shut itself down and stop feeding pellets. In test mode the feeder motor will not come. I know it works along with the igniter, as I jumpered the low pressure switch and both would come on. I checked the tubing to the low pressure switch and ohm'ed the switch. It's normally open and when I put a small amount of vacuum on it the switch it closes. So the switch is working and I made sure the line is clear...so I'm at a loss here. My low pressure switch is tubed to the hopper. How does this work with the end of the tube run being covered with pellets? Is there a negative pressure in the hopper and how is that with it being filled? Let me know your thoughts, as I want to get this fixed and running again.

Thanks,
Dave

In test mode I don't see the combustion motor turning, even though the light on the control panle says its running. Has anyone had this happen before? Is there some fuse to this motor? The 6 amp on tha back of the control panel is fine.

Thanks,
Dave

keep the hopper lid closed and latched. Also if the combustion motor isn't turning then you have no negative pressure to hold the switch closed. There have been cases where something gets into the windings of them motors and then the motor gets stuck. open the ashpan door, remove the pan. Carefully spin the fan blades and turn the stove on. Keep your fingers clear as the motor should start and the blades hurt if you get your fingers too close. This should solve the probelms.

Yes, try spinning comb blower, that is why you have no feed or ignitor. No combustion blower=no negative pressure=pressure differential stays open=no feed/no ignitor.

Motor spins freely..so not bound up. Spun it and plugged in...nothing. The wires terminate under some tape around the coils of that motor, so I couldn't use the multi meter to see if there is voltage at the motor terminals. I guess this motor was intermittent last night and gave it up...

UPDATE for those interested. There is a fuse in the combustion blower motor. It's a 3A 250V MTEF (E5F) thermal fuse. I checked the voltage from the board when I plugged it in and there was 120 volts being sent to the motor. Then I took the motor off and unwrapped the coils to expose the motor leads. This is where I found the fuse between the positive (black) motor lead and the coil lead. I Ohm'ed the coil....it was good. I Ohm'ed the thermal fuse...it was bad. That's was the problem with the motor. I tested the motor with out the fuse for just a second and it worked. Heading out to Radio Shack to see if they have a thermal fuse. It would be nice if the moderator could pin this information for future reference.

http://www.cantherm.com/products/thermal_fuses/therm_fuse.html#mtef

dstacy said:
UPDATE for those interested. There is a fuse in the combustion blower motor. It's a 3A 250V MTEF (E5F) thermal fuse. I checked the voltage from the board when I plugged it in and there was 120 volts being sent to the motor. Then I took the motor off and unwrapped the coils to expose the motor leads. This is where I found the fuse between the positive (black) motor lead and the coil lead. I Ohm'ed the coil....it was good. I Ohm'ed the thermal fuse...it was bad. That's was the problem with the motor. I tested the motor with out the fuse for just a second and it worked. Heading out to Radio Shack to see if they have a thermal fuse. It would be nice if the moderator could pin this information for future reference.

http://www.cantherm.com/products/thermal_fuses/therm_fuse.html#mtef

That is good info. I am curious though, why didn't you just take the motor to your dealer and get a new one under warranty?

I live an hour and a half away. They haven't installed many stoves here in South Carolina and could not get out here in the next few days. Its cold at night and they would have had to order a new motor and it would have dragged on. Radio Shack didn't have the thermal fuse with the correct amperage, so I got one with the correct temperature and put an in line 3A fuse with the positive motor lead. Stove is running great now, heating up the house. Great timing as the sun is going down and it will be 40 tonight. Thanks for the help and I look forward to trouble free years burning pellets not OIL!

Not familiar with the p-68, but if it has the room sensor, make sure it's plugged in the room sensor port...on the Advance its on the back of the stove on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.