Harman pretty-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
Finding out later what a great stove (so far!) it is, we primarily selected the Accentra insert for aesthetic reasons -- my wife liked it. Plus, we paid for the brown-enamel finish. But, we've been talking off-n-on about something a little bit more. The two parts not in brown enamel is a black-finish exhaust grate above the door, and the door latch handle, also black finish.

Anyone ever get stove parts brass plated? I think that these two parts would dress up the stove nicely, presuming the finish would hold up. I checked and the grate is held in with two bolts, unsure about the handle. Obviously, this would be an off-season project.

Not sure about the handle on the Accentra but both of my handles are wood. Is it metal on yours? Anything can be done but it might cost ya!

I like as big old wood knob myself.....

Reactions: alternativeheat
You prob'ly wouldn't like that rusty set of visegrips I use ...................

Reactions: bags
Rustolium makes a hammered metal paint that might do the trick.

Not sure about the handle on the Accentra but both of my handles are wood. Is it metal on yours? Anything can be done but it might cost ya!

The handle on my old woodstove was turned oak, looked nice -- and I think I have a spare laying around somewhere! On the Harman, the last, eh, three inches unscrews; ideally, brass-plate the rest and screw on a wooden end.

The exhaust grate is cast steel with a pretty rough finish, I would guess it would take quite a bit of processing to get it really smooth in order to brass plate it.

I'll look closely at that; good point. A complicated-enough shape that I know I wouldn't care to spend endless hours with a Dremel smoothing it out.

I was just pointing that out that the actual handle is wood. Many might assume it is metal since the rest of the stove is. Have fun with that Dremel! Let us know and get some pics up with what you do. I wish I had that kind of free time. LOL! Good Luck.

How's the pellet hauling going? ::-)

Status
Not open for further replies.