Harman TL300 Vs. Quadrafire 5700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sproultrapper

Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
Central PA
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am getting ready to purchase a wood stove to heat my newly constructed 1800 sq ft two story house with basement. The basement is finished with insulated walls.

I have looked at both Harman and Quad stoves. I like features of both. Leaning towards top loading harman.

Does anybody have any input on these stoves?

They are very different stoves, both good from reports here.

The Quad is fairly straight forward updraft design with a bit larger firebox. The Harman is more unique stove. It's a top and front loader. The only steel stove I know of with this design. It is also a downdraft stove that burns very cleanly and evenly. There is a nifty option for adding a grille at the top load door for cooking.

My only concern would be how well the Harman downdraft design works in a basement. Downdraft stoves can be more finicky about the flue they are connected to.

You might also consider a Pacific Energy Summit and an Englander 30NC in this league.

BeGreen,

The two stoves have a different burn design, but they have alot of similarities also. Their BTU ratings are close, although the quad has a slightly larger firebox volume.

I am also trying to decide on a chimney. All the stove dealers are recommending a stainless flue, but I really like the look of a traditional block chimney.

What is the general consensus here on the better option for a flue.

The real question is where are you going to put the chimney? I'd do my best to avoid an outside the home chimney that runs up the side of the house. If you can keep the masonary chimney inside the evnvelope of the home and have the proper sized clay liner installed, you'll really have a great long term setup. Similarly, a stainless steel prefab chimney inside the home will perform just as well.

If you HAVE to run it up the side of the house, you'd probably be better suited to a stainless steel chimney, as it will take less time for the cold stack to heat up and begin drawing. You could potentially fight with an external masonary chimney to get good draft. Unforunately, cement block is not a very good insulater.

Corie is right on. Avoid an exterior stack if at all possible. Basement stove + cold exterior stack can be a disappointing combo.

As to the stoves, they are really different in operation and design. My 2 cents says, if this ends up being an exterior chimney, I would go for the simpler stove design and an outside air supply connected to the stove.

My only option is an exterior chimney. I will putting up a stainless chimney. The overwhelming majority of people have recommended a stainless flue. You guys have reinforced what I have been told by many dealers and experinced wooburners.

You mentioned the Harman is a downdraft burner. Are you refering to the way the draft enters the firebox? Is their really much difference on the way the stove burns with the draft coming in from the bottom as opposed to the top of the stove?

I am a little confused?

I'm not really familiar with the Harman stove, but I'm more than pleased with my 5700. I have a 26' external stainless class A chimney with no issues. The stove has great draft and can be fully adjusted to achieve 14 hour burns. I'm heating 2000 sq. ft. as well as 1000 sq. ft. of unfinished, lightly insulated, basement where the stove is located.

sproultrapper said:
My only option is an exterior chimney. I will putting up a stainless chimney. The overwhelming majority of people have recommended a stainless flue. You guys have reinforced what I have been told by many dealers and experinced wooburners.

You mentioned the Harman is a downdraft burner. Are you refering to the way the draft enters the firebox? Is their really much difference on the way the stove burns with the draft coming in from the bottom as opposed to the top of the stove?

I am a little confused?

The smoke path in the 5700 or PE Summit is upward with secondary air being added before it doubles back around the baffle and heads to the flue. The Harman heads the smoke and unburned gases down low into a secondary combustion chamber at the back of the stove and then up to the flue.

BeGreen,

O.K. I get the idea of calling it a downdraft burner. I guess they are more different than they first appeared. I have seen both in operation. Looks like they are both in the same price range unless you start adding options. I can get the harman with blower and fancy trim package (for the wife) for $2,252. The quadrafire for about $2,286.

I dislike the optional ash pan design on the Quadrafire. But it seems the quad is a little easier stove to burn. I like the top loading option and ashpan design of the Harman. Seems like with a little practice and good seasoned oak (which I will have plenty of) the Harman gets awesome burn times.

While I was at the Quad dealer for about an hour. That stove really seemed to eat alot of wood, but we were playing with the draft etc.

I am leaning towards Harman. Also talked to the Harman Dealer, he assured me that Harman will remain Harman. Dane Harman still involved wiyh R&D;. Looks like Harman will still be around just someone elses money working the place.

If you are putting the stove in the basement tand trying to heat the house above you will be better served with the larger stove

hey I am in central Pa also, and I know what you mean about trying to choose between those two stoves!

WE put in an exterior double wall stainless, one flue for the wood burning fireplace on the top level (bilevel) and one for the basement woodburner. No problem with draft if starting a cold fire because we hold a piece of flaming newspaper up the flue to move the cold air mass.

Draft on our coal burner in the basement is a bit trickier and we usually wait for a windy or cold day to get it rolling otherwise start time is doubled while waiting for the draft, the chimney is block and is interior to the garage, temp of garage never goes below 40F.

Status
Not open for further replies.