Harman XXV top vent option question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leelu

Sep 27, 2007
I've bought a XXV and ordered the top vent adapter for 6" pipe to use my exsiting chimney.

The XXV manual states:
#4 Installing into an existing chimney
with optional top discharge 6" flue
adapter
This method will allow single wall 6" flue pipe
to come off the top of the stove and go directly into
a masonry or class A chimney.
This method will be desireable for people who
are replacing a wood or coal stove and have an
existing chimney to use.

My dealer says I need double wall flue pipe, but the manual says the above.

My exisiting wood burner uses single wall.

Is my dealer just trying to make some extra ???

Ask him to explain why page seven of the XXV manual also says:

"When using the top vent option, six inch single wall pipe must be connected with at least three (3) screws."

The guy is full of it.

BrotherBart said:
Ask him to explain why page seven of the XXV manual also says:

"When using the top vent option, six inch single wall pipe must be connected with at least three (3) screws."

The guy is full of it.

Thanks for the reply BrotherBart.

I have to admit, the manual is a bit ambiguous. It says single wall stove pipe is ok, but mentions 6" clearance from the pipe to the wall. Rule of thumb minimums for single wall is 18" from the wall and 6" for double wall..... Is it because the exhaust temp is lower than a classic wood stove?

Another question I have about installation is the hearth pad. The manual is pretty vague when it comes to that. It just says non combustable floor protector. You could interpret that as floor protector made from anything that doesn't burn ie. metal, ceramic tile etc. no mention on how thick it needs to be ie. for a wood stove, again, general rule of thumb is 1" non combustable.....

At least to my un-educated self six inches for single wall makes sense for a pellet stove since pellet vent pipe usually just requires a 3" clearance.

I am sure the pellet pros will be along shortly.

I agree: if you use deductive reasoning - if 18" single wall = 6" double wall for a stove, then 3" double wall PV = 6" single wall for a pellet stove...

I'll wait for the seasoned experts to chime in...

thanks,

Great try on the deductive reasoning! Unfortunately, deductive reasoning is not how these clearances are set. They have to test this vent setup just like any other vent setup. When they did the test the single-wall pipe clearance was 6". Double-wall 6" connector pipe was not tested. The only acceptable way to use the 6" top vent kit is to use 6" single-wall connector pipe. (Doesn't mean double-wall connector wouldn't work, just wasn't tested).

Some dealers assume that this top vent kit needs some liner or double-wall pipe. I thought that at first, when I first saw it. But you know what assume means. Your dealer mis-spoke. You should use 6" single-wall pipe (preferably welded seam pipe, like Simpson Durablack or similar) and make sure the joints are sealed. The hook-up to the chimney then works just like a wood stove.

Sean

Thank you very much for your great input!

now if I could just get my hearth pad question resolved I'd be set......

yup...you can either vent it thru pellet pipe, following manufacturer-allowed clearances, OR utilizing 6" single-wall pipe. If you do this, in addition to using screws to fasten the joints, make sure you also seal the joints. Also, supplied with the topvent kit, is a 1' section of 4" simpson duravent pellet pipe.....make sure you use this as well....the clearances allowed are tested with this pipe section installed. It sits simply on the top of the stove outlet, INSIDE of the 6" single wall pipe. Yup, dealer is a yahoo....dont need class A if you are going into a masonry flue thats in good shape.

leelu said:
<snip>
Another question I have about installation is the hearth pad. The manual is pretty vague when it comes to that. It just says non combustable floor protector. You could interpret that as floor protector made from anything that doesn't burn ie. metal, ceramic tile etc. no mention on how thick it needs to be ie. for a wood stove, again, general rule of thumb is 1" non combustable.....

Pellet stoves burn cooler than wood, so yes, all you need is a floor covering that will not burn... It also needs to be impervious, so if you do tiles you'll need to be putting them on some sort of backerboard and installing them the usual way. (BTW, there are tested woodstoves that require more than an inch of non-combustibles, and others that require much less. What is more important is the "R-value". However if they don't list an R-value, or a "material (or equivalent) spec" it means you don't need insulation, just to be non-combustible.)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.