Harmon Advance unique problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yardbird

Mar 2, 2008
Wisconsin
Howdy all. I searched the forums here, but didn't find this problem posted before. If more info is needed, please let me know.

Running my Advance on Stove temp, set to Automatic, with the feed rate on 4 and the Temp knob set about 75, this stove is shutting off for a few seconds, then turns back on.

First, the distrabution motor shuts off, then a few seconds later, I hear the combustion motor shut off for about 5 seconds, then everything kicks back in. The status light is giving me three blinks, but has been since last season. If I unplug the unit, the status light stays off for a while, then blinks again.

I have only had smoke in the hopper once, and it never happened again. I have the air intake sucking air from the outside, but did remove just today to see if that had anything to do with it. It didn't.

I ran a seperate 20 amp outlet on it's own breaker, and have no problem with power. It doesn't matter what type of pellet I use. I have moved my temp sensor to the back, and both sides of the unit with no results. I haven't called the dealer yet, because I would prefer to fix it myself.

Yardbird said:
Howdy all. I searched the forums here, but didn't find this problem posted before. If more info is needed, please let me know.

Running my Advance on Stove temp, set to Automatic, with the feed rate on 4 and the Temp knob set about 75, this stove is shutting off for a few seconds, then turns back on.

First, the distrabution motor shuts off, then a few seconds later, I hear the combustion motor shut off for about 5 seconds, then everything kicks back in. The status light is giving me three blinks, but has been since last season. If I unplug the unit, the status light stays off for a while, then blinks again.

I have only had smoke in the hopper once, and it never happened again. I have the air intake sucking air from the outside, but did remove just today to see if that had anything to do with it. It didn't.

I ran a seperate 20 amp outlet on it's own breaker, and have no problem with power. It doesn't matter what type of pellet I use. I have moved my temp sensor to the back, and both sides of the unit with no results. I haven't called the dealer yet, because I would prefer to fix it myself.

If you are set to auto you should be running in Room temp mode. Your sensor has no affect in stove temp mode....that mode is for visual effect not heat and you should be in manual mode when using it...., thats why your fans will shut down or run intermitantly. the 3 blinks means your stove is probably getting too hot in that mode and is indicating a failure. If you've been running the stove like that since last season...you haven't had it on its proper settings.

taken from the harman manual: Stove Temperature Mode: the advantage of this mode is to allow the operator to have a large viewing fire without blowing extra heat into the room. During operation, with the temperature dial set at 5 or less, the distribution fan will not operate....etc. check page 5 of your instruction manual for the rest.

unplug the stove to reset, change to room temp mode/ on auto and see what happens.

Thanks for the fast reply. I just changed the settings, so I will let it run for the night, and see what happens.

Yardbird said:
Thanks for the fast reply. I just changed the settings, so I will let it run for the night, and see what happens.

You might want to tape your temp sensor about half way up your wall where a regular thermastate would be, although leaving it behind your stove is fine too but you might find your room temp will go higher than 75...heat rises...

Well, the combustion motor runs like normal now, so that's a plus. But the distrabution motor still shuts off.

When the system is feeding pellets from the hopper, it's noisey now, and the distrabution motor shuts down while it's feeding. But once it's done feeding, the motor kicks right back in. I unplugged it to reset it, and I am still getting 3 flashes from the status light.

Yardbird said:
Well, the combustion motor runs like normal now, so that's a plus. But the distrabution motor still shuts off.

When the system is feeding pellets from the hopper, it's noisey now, and the distrabution motor shuts down while it's feeding. But once it's done feeding, the motor kicks right back in. I unplugged it to reset it, and I am still getting 3 flashes from the status light.

If your temperature inside the house reaches what you have it set at, your stove will go into maintainance mode, which will turn the distribution motor down until more heat is needed to maintain your set temperature. You'll hear it go on and off at intervals....if you turn your temp dial up you'll notice that the distribution fan will come on right away.

Is the noise the pellets dropping into the chute or does it sound like a grinding noise?

You might want to clean the ESP sensor located behind your ashbox. Here are complete cleaning instructions for the advance.

http://harmanstoves.com/maintenance/AdvanceCleaningGuide.htm

If you continue to get 3 blinks after cleaning it as per instructions in the link, you might want to call your dealer to check it out.

The unit isn't hitting the set room temp. When the pellets are being fed, after they drop into the chute, that's when the dist motor stops, until the auger stops running, then the dist motor starts right back up.

The noise the auger is making is like it's struggling to turn. It doesn't sound like a grinding noise, just a throaty type noise. Any idea what the three blinks is indicating? I did look at the ESP, and it isn't perfectly straight, but it doesn't appear to be too bent. There isn't any excess accumulation on it, so I don't know if needs to be cleaned.

I can say that after each ton I burn, I tear the thing down to the gills, and clean it, except for the backside of it. I only do that at the end of the season.

Your ESP is bad
3blinks is pointing you to it
The combustion blower should never, ever shut off till the ESP is below a certain temp (don't know what that temp is)
The distribution blower in stove temp when set at a low temp on the dial will turn the blower on to pull excess heat out of the stove to prevent overheating.
But at higher settings the blower will run almost constantly.....

Yardbird said:
The unit isn't hitting the set room temp. When the pellets are being fed, after they drop into the chute, that's when the dist motor stops, until the auger stops running, then the dist motor starts right back up.

The noise the auger is making is like it's struggling to turn. It doesn't sound like a grinding noise, just a throaty type noise. Any idea what the three blinks is indicating? I did look at the ESP, and it isn't perfectly straight, but it doesn't appear to be too bent. There isn't any excess accumulation on it, so I don't know if needs to be cleaned.

I can say that after each ton I burn, I tear the thing down to the gills, and clean it, except for the backside of it. I only do that at the end of the season.

GVA is right. 3 blinks indicates ESP (Exhaust Sensing Probe) failure. page 7 of your manual lists all of the status light error messages. You really should get your dealer out there to trouble shoot it as you have more than one thing going on and you've said in your first post that you've always had the 3 blinks since last year.

The ESP, when clean is a silver metal color...if its dark brownish its dirty,,,you've also said it is slightly bent.
It probably needs to be replaced.

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to pick up a new ESP today and throw it in. I will post back once it's replaced. I hope that's the only problem.

Since I changed the settings, The stove is keeping the house warmer, and going through less pellets, so thank you for that. Now if I can find a place around here that has some decent hardwood pellets left........

Yardbird said:
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to pick up a new ESP today and throw it in. I will post back once it's replaced. I hope that's the only problem.

Since I changed the settings, The stove is keeping the house warmer, and going through less pellets, so thank you for that. Now if I can find a place around here that has some decent hardwood pellets left........

If you have a Home Depot near you and they're carrying Fireside Ultra's, give a few bags a try. They burn hot. My Advance loves burning them.

The ESP seems to have done the trick. This thing hasn't kicked out heat like this since it started acting up. Big difference. Thanks to everyone again for the help. The best part was that the dealer gave me the replacement part under warranty (two years old) so it didn't cost me a thing!!!!!

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.