Harmon P68 auger vibration?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmh2007

Nov 20, 2007
virginia
I have a year old Harmon P68 pellet stove. The stove is excellent except for a low frequency, but very loud vibration that increases in volume toward the end of the auger cycle. When I say loud, I mean I can hear it above the blowers and on the other side of the house with doors closed. I had the dealer come out and unfortunately, I already knew more about the stove than he did. I have pulled the auger motor and run it separately. It is very quiet. I have pulled the auger and re-aligned it....it too is very quiet when turned by hand. However the two running together creates a vibration I cannot track down. Help please! I'm to the point of selling a very expensive stove unless I can fix it. Thanks

My old stove will build a resonating noise under certain conditions. It can approach the effected experience of an F-18 on full afterburner.

There is a low rumbling that gradually builds in the lower frequencies, and then the sheet metal panels start vibrating. It comes and goes.

I attribute this to various factors...

It is an old stove, and probably due for some long-overdue maintenance, If I can ever find a manual for it.

I have a "manufactured" home, and the floor is not very solid. It is actually a pretty effective passive sonic resonator.

Due to twiddling with the (limited) adjustments available, I might be over-firing my pellet stove.

I do occasionally hear a strange noise during the auger cycle. My auger cycles about once every ten seconds, with the cycle time dependent on the heat setting.
Once in awhile I hear a metallic "choink" at the end of the cycle. I have assumed this is due to the auger breaking a long pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.