harmon therm. problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

muski

Nov 19, 2020
usa
hello everyone, i have a harmon p61a and its been working great for 3 years but discovered a problem last night.the stove lights fine but if you turn temp down after its been running for hrs. it wont let the fire get low...in other words it stays burning. usually when you turn temp down after 20 min or so the flame is gone and just random red coals left in burn pot... must be a thermostat prob but new to pellet stoves and wondering what or where is the sensor and how to check it or replace.....thx in advance for your help

If the igniter switch is set to manual/disabled the stove will stay lit at a low flame to keep the stove running.

Reactions: bags
If the igniter switch is set to manual/disabled the stove will stay lit at a low flame to keep the stove running.
oh sorry should have given more info...i always run on room temp and ign. switch on auto.. thx jackman

hello everyone, i have a harmon p61a and its been working great for 3 years but discovered a problem last night.the stove lights fine but if you turn temp down after its been running for hrs. it wont let the fire get low...in other words it stays burning. usually when you turn temp down after 20 min or so the flame is gone and just random red coals left in burn pot... must be a thermostat prob but new to pellet stoves and wondering what or where is the sensor and how to check it or replace.....thx in advance for your help

Did the tip of the thermostat lead somehow get moved to a new location in space? If it's suddenly in a cooler location such as the floor, right against an exterior wall etc it will keep the stove running. I once had mine fall on to the coolish stone of the fireplace threshold and the house hit a record high temperature before I spotted the problem.

YMMV,

Hugh

Did the tip of the thermostat lead somehow get moved to a new location in space? If it's suddenly in a cooler location such as the floor, right against an exterior wall etc it will keep the stove running. I once had mine fall on to the coolish stone of the fireplace threshold and the house hit a record high temperature before I spotted the problem.

YMMV,

Hugh
hahaha house hit a record high temp.....i like that but no has been in same place for 3 yrs and made sure its still there...thx hugh

Have you cleaned your ESP probe? Check your room temp probe connection onto the back of the stove. The ESP probe is located in the exhaust behind the ash pan and taking off the cover at the exhaust fan. There are probably videos on Youtube.

Have you cleaned your ESP probe? Check your room temp probe connection onto the back of the stove. The ESP probe is located in the exhaust behind the ash pan and taking off the cover at the exhaust fan. There are probably videos on Youtube.
no i have not cleaned the probe....will try tonight seeing as there are no codes being shown as blinking with the status light......thx bags!!

thx bags!!!!! didnt know there was a probe in there. took it apart last night and cleaned it needed it bad 3 yrs of running it had soot caked all around it...took a long screwdriver scraped it the best i could restarted the stove and worked great!!!!!! thx everyone for the input and thx to bags !!!!!! he sent me in the right direction!!!!!

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
thx bags!!!!! didnt know there was a probe in there. took it apart last night and cleaned it needed it bad 3 yrs of running it had soot caked all around it...took a long screwdriver scraped it the best i could restarted the stove and worked great!!!!!! thx everyone for the input and thx to bags !!!!!! he sent me in the right direction!!!!!
Next time use a small paint brush to clean it. The ESP probe is a very sensitive part of your stove and can be damaged easily.