Harmon XXV - OAK Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
When my stove was installed they used the 2 7/8 alum flex pipe I already had for Wood Stove outside air. It was not in the best of shape and not exactly the right size. Manual calls for 2 3/8 flex pipe.

Harmon XXV Air Port works best with 3" flex pipe (fits outside diameter).

Why Harmon in their manual says 2 3/8 is beyond me. Anyway we had to cutoff the 2 7/8 pipe and make adapter to join the 2 up. Old Pipe had places where it let room air in (Holes). Way too many from age and movement.

Previous idiot homeowner just put old flex pipe and cemented it in place thru wall. Instead of putting stub pipe in wall. Joy

I was getting some smoke smell and I assume it was from these holes when the stove shutdown. This seems to have solved it.

Page 10

To install outside air use 2 3/8" I.D. non-combustible flex
pipe. There is a break-away hole on the rear panel of the
stove which must be removed to connect the flex pipe. The
maximum length run of this pipe is 15 feet. If a longer run
is needed the size must be increased to 3". Inlet cover part
number 1-10-08542 should be used to keep birds, rodents,
etc.out of the pipe u

Does not matter, just unhappy with how it was hooked up by dealer. To use crappy wrong size OAK that was there for Wood Stove is not Good. I can't recommend them. Makes me wish I went to Ace in Town and got different stove. At least local dealer. All good Now. Why it says 2 3/8 is beyond me. That would never work.

I think it is a miss print,as the part number of the flex listed in the older manual had an inside dia. of 2&3/4,and is discontinued.You can never go too big on the OAK hose/pipe,but you can easily go too small.And,with 3" that is recommended,you have to use a hose clamp and it will actually crush the flex pipe,down on the Harman adapter.3" is the norm for Harman stoves.Owners manuals are usually updated,over time,but you have to check their website.

I got my PDF Manual from Harmon's Web Site. Figured out it was wrong. Not going to put clamp on it, fits nice without and clamp will bugger up the hose end after time. I pull the thing out to clean Exhaust Fan. Which I just did after about 1/2 ton. So far good. Real Cold weather this week. Down 9f at night by Thur.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I got my PDF Manual from Harmon's Web Site. Figured out it was wrong. Not going to put clamp on it, fits nice without and clamp will bugger up the hose end after time. I pull the thing out to clean Exhaust Fan. Which I just did after about 1/2 ton. So far good. Real Cold weather this week. Down 9f at night by Thur.
It does not have to be clamped.Smaller dia. is fine for short runs,many have done it for years.You have a great stove to keep you warm.9f-ppfftt,was 0 here this AM,lol.

Thanks. I think Wife will really appreciate it come Spring Cleaning. Lots of Ash in house to clean up from Blaze King "King". Plus still not 100% from my Bucking Up Wood Accident (tore rotator cup and 50% muscle tear). The 40lb bags are so easy compared to wood. But back of my mind I know the BK put out LOTS of heat with Pine Wood (all we have out west in WA). I have already noticed lots less BUGS.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Reactions: Dataman