Harmon xxv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdwill

Dec 20, 2020
Missouri
Stove is 1.5 years old, purchased new. End of last year problems started. Set temp on 70, room temp reading kept going up, way up, fire continued to burn big. Repair guys changed everything, mother board...twice, piping, position of stove, temp probe. Worked for a few days, then back to see old issues. On this forum I read about cleaning temp probe, no one mentioned this to me. I did that and stove worked fine. Now, still having temp issues. I clean probe every time I clean stove, 2-3 weeks. Set temp on 70, room temp reads 74-75, fire doesn't really cycle down. Room temp probe is taped to stove cord on floor...repair guys idea. So...isn't the fire supposed to cycle up and down depending on temp set? And if temp probe reads room is hotter than set temp should not that signal stove to cycle down????

Room temp probe is taped to stove cord on floor...repair guys idea. So...isn't the fire supposed to cycle up and down depending on temp set? And if temp probe reads room is hotter than set temp should not that signal stove to cycle down????

The floor will tend to be the coldest place in the room. If the stove is attempting to warm it up to set temperature it will way overshoot what you wish at higher parts of the room. I once had my thermister fall from its normal 5' high location to the cold stone threshold. The room set a new all time high temperature before I figured out what had happened.

Hugh

Reactions: MarkF48
This set up keeps my place 5c within the dial setting

Attachments

• 116AD3E6-0E22-432D-BB60-FAEF64771EB8.jpeg
    116AD3E6-0E22-432D-BB60-FAEF64771EB8.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 116
Stove is 1.5 years old, purchased new. End of last year problems started. Set temp on 70, room temp reading kept going up, way up, fire continued to burn big. Repair guys changed everything, mother board...twice, piping, position of stove, temp probe. Worked for a few days, then back to see old issues. On this forum I read about cleaning temp probe, no one mentioned this to me. I did that and stove worked fine. Now, still having temp issues. I clean probe every time I clean stove, 2-3 weeks. Set temp on 70, room temp reads 74-75, fire doesn't really cycle down. Room temp probe is taped to stove cord on floor...repair guys idea. So...isn't the fire supposed to cycle up and down depending on temp set? And if temp probe reads room is hotter than set temp should not that signal stove to cycle down????

Is this the XXV TC with the digital display/control? If I understand correctly, when you set the temp. on the right side of the display to 70*F, the stove keeps right on heating so that the center actual room temp will go up to 75*F before modulating?

Have I got that right?

I've had this same issue with the Harman Absolute 63 which also has the TC, the dealer has not been able to help. Normally a bigger issue in shoulder seasons where the stove would often reach temp easily during the day and when you'd want it to shut down it would instead run at 6-7% feed rate until it ran out of pellets or we opened the hopper. They blamed it on an ESP, cleaned it, and the issue came back the next day. Very frustrating issue.

I'm on a wireless temperature probe, so it's not an issue with the tape job you did. While I've come to believe almost all issues are maintenance related, I believe this is just a programming glitch.

Is this the XXV TC with the digital display/control? If I understand correctly, when you set the temp. on the right side of the display to 70*F, the stove keeps right on heating so that the center actual room temp will go up to 75*F before modulating?

Have I got that right?
On my stove it holds the temp within 2 degs. Of the set temp.

There has been a software update released in 2020 for the TC stoves, I have not done the update but it may be worth a shot for those having an issue.

As an example, I set my stove from 70 to 66 degrees 45 minutes ago. It's currently at 71 degrees and feeding consistently at 6% feed rate.