Has anyone heard of Tidy Timber Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have burned Tidy Timbers, not Tiny Timbers.

I bought two bags of them last December. They burnt nice and ash was about the same as the Somersets that I have burnt all winter(very little ash). Since I was just trying them out for $5.99 bag I thought was a little high for me so I did not get any more.

Burned several tons a few years ago. No problems

I bought and burned one bag of Tidy Timbers in 2007 from Walmart. They were the poorest of the five brands I tried. They were full of fines, crumbly, low heat and high ash. From forum posts I suspect they broke up from excess handling or got wet at some point. Might try again but would want to test burn a bag or two before committing to a ton or more.

Lowes by me selling them at $5.95 a bag. No discount yet. I have someone watching them for me in the mean time.

Lowes here in Mustang OK has 14 pallets of them for 5.50 a bag. Labeled as “premium” low. I have never heard of this pellet but bought 5 bags to test. Upon first inspection (dumping a bag in the stove) they look good with little dust, good pellet composition, uniform color, and uniform size. Heat content and clean burn are the unknowns still although I fired up the stove and it ate em up ... It’s still 68 degrees so I can’t tell about heat.
The manager at lows agreed to sell them 10 % off in a 3ton bulk witch would make them 5.00 per bag and that’s the going rate around other stores for Pennington which do not seem to be a quality pelet from reading here. I burned pennington the last several years as it was the only brand available but these tidy timbers clearly have fewer fines and generally look better. I think I dumped out a thimble full of fine in the bag.

Any idea how clean these burn?

Clay H said:
Any idea how clean these burn?

I burned 4 bags in my Harman, April 09, and they were dirty enough that I wouldn't buy more unless it was with a give away price. Had big fluffy funky ash and the heat seemed to be on the low side.

The Lowes around here have bunches of them. I need 2 more tons and I am presently looking elsewhere.

Bkins

strange how theres such mixed reviews on a pellet brand. Other than Tidy Timbers, Pennington is my only other choice in OK. Oh, wait there was one more new brand i came across called Heat LLC and i have no idea about those either.

BTU said:
This is about the third or fourth time I have read about no selection or poor quality in OK...let me know a couple of dealers in the area and retail selling prices and I will see if I can get product down there competitively... never know till you try....I know you will like ours....

Sweet! What brands do you carry?
Pellet stoves have gotten very popular in OK in the last 5 years especially and a nicer selection of pellets is long overdue....definately a market her for them. Granted its not as cold for as long here as up north but we see our share of below freezing and a short burst of low teens every year. On average a well insulated, typical sized house here will use 2-3 tons of pellets a season.
The Hearth Shop in Moore OK is one, Ricks house of fire in Oklahoma City, Lowes (the one in Mustang in particularly) and theres always Atwoods and TSC all over OK
Lowes is selling Tidy Timbers for 5.49 a bag, Atwords is selling Heat Resource for 4.99 a bag (these are trash pellets) and The Hearth Shop is selling Pennington for 5.50 a bag and Heat LLC for like 5.40 a bag. Home Depot sells a few pellets too but i don't know what they have this year. the Hearth shop is where i bought my stove and is the largest pellet retailer i know of in OK. Lowes in Mustange has 14 pallets but that may be all they order all year.

I test burned more of the Tidy Timbers last night in my traditions out in the shop - was 70* outside but this was just a test and had the shop doors wie open...lol - my goal is to burn up one whole bag and see how dirty the glass is on the stove. The worst quality pellets i ever used smoked up the glass after burning only half a bag and that is one of the main things i grade a pellet on. So far the glass is still very clean and i have used about 1/4 of a bag of Tidy Timbers. They appear to be performing well so far.

BTU said:
Clay H said:
strange how theres such mixed reviews on a pellet brand. Other than Tidy Timbers, Pennington is my only other choice in OK. Oh, wait there was one more new brand i came across called Heat LLC and i have no idea about those either.

This is about the third or fourth time I have read about no selection or poor quality in OK...let me know a couple of dealers in the area and retail selling prices and I will see if I can get product down there competitively... never know till you try....I know you will like ours....
Any luck with this? I talked to the Sales manager at Lowes in Mustang the other day when i purchased a ton and told him my concern with the pellet selection in OK and told him you might be contacting him about carrying your brand. He seemed very interested in hearing more about different/ better quality pellets so i believe you might have a shot of working something out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.