Has my first experience with a pellet stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapeer20m

Oct 17, 2013
Michigan
I'm a handy guy and like to think I can fix almost anything. My buddy's pellet stove stopped working and I agreed to take a look at it.

It's a st cruix auburn. I spent time reading threads on this site, which was very informative as I've never laid eyes on a pellet stove before. I also read the owners manual.

I disassembled the auger assembly, took the stove apart and cleaned everything well. Also made sure the chimney was clean.

Turns out that the service tech who "fixed" the stove earlier this year installed the auger assembly incorrectly allowing the motor to turn while the auger was stationary. The collar was misaligned not allowing the Allen screw to engage the motor shaft.

I should have taken a photo....

I was impressed by the concept of the stove.

Last edited:
I was told that to properly clean the exhaust pathways one has to remove the exhaust fan. Means getting a new gasket for it. Was designed for corn which is now about 140 a ton. When burning corn there is less ash blown threw the stove. So if you really want to impress your buddy a little more work will make that baby really burn good.

Reactions: Bob Sorjanen
Status
Not open for further replies.