Hatchet vs. railroad tie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
The nephews from Montana are visiting again. After yesterdays work, figured they'd be tuckered out, but no. So today, we start on some railroad ties I want gone. They get a few moved with a mattox, and I tell them we need to cut them up. The 10 yr. old grabs a small hatchet and starts whacking away. I sip coffee. I re-fill coffee cup- still whacking away. Is this wrong? ;-P

Beetle-Kill said:
The nephews from Montana are visiting again. After yesterdays work, figured they'd be tuckered out, but no. So today, we start on some railroad ties I want gone. They get a few moved with a mattox, and I tell them we need to cut them up. The 10 yr. old grabs a small hatchet and starts whacking away. I sip coffee. I re-fill coffee cup- still whacking away. Is this wrong? ;-P

SOUNDS PERFECT TO ME! :cheese:

No its not. When my youngest nephew wanted to help me do some cutting/cleanup at parents acreage a few yrs ago,I told Jacob "In a few yrs when you get older,bigger & more mature..."

Well he'll be 20 in August,is 6ft tall,260 pounds & he holds 2 State records for Strongman/Powerlifting competition in the 18 & Under class in 2009.Still competes when work & school schedule permits.Is going to school part time to be a Fitness Trainer/Strength Coach.

Looks like I got a new apprentice/log mover,'eh guys? :coolgrin:

hmmm... now you're giving me ideas, Beetle... maybe I can get my 11-y/o cousin to do some work for me when she comes up from Colorado later this summer...

Thistle said:
No its not. When my youngest nephew wanted to help me do some cutting/cleanup at parents acreage a few yrs ago,I told Jacob "In a few yrs when you get older,bigger & more mature..."

Well he'll be 20 in August,is 6ft tall,260 pounds & he holds 2 State records for Strongman/Powerlifting competition in the 18 & Under class in 2009.Still competes when work & school schedule permits.Is going to school part time to be a Fitness Trainer/Strength Coach.

Looks like I got a new apprentice/log mover,'eh guys? :coolgrin:

I have two kids now that have won state championships, and one runner-up (she is only 13) all three started throwing things before they could walk and knew how to use a pitch back very well a 2 years old. Amazing what you can get started by just letting them run with it a little! :cheese:

PapaDave said:
Well, I've had my chuckle for the day. Thanks much! :lol:
Yeah, me too. You should've see the almost 12 one wrestling with the 33" mower- now THAT was entertainment! He is sooo much better than last year, came down here looking forward to a little work. The younger one had no clue. And now he does. At home, these little beasts are couch-dwelling video gamers. Not here. 5 more days, bet they go home at least 5lbs. lighter. :coolgrin: And no, the 10 yr. old didn't get through the RR-tie. But he did help load the sections I cut up, so I have to give him that.

Beetle-Kill said:

Beetle-

I'm pretty sure that's what one would consider "Pre-1990 ADHD medicine". Or, as I suspect, ADHD should more properly called "Not giving kids enough to do".

Beetle-Kill said:
PapaDave said:
Well, I've had my chuckle for the day. Thanks much! :lol:
Yeah, me too. You should've see the almost 12 one wrestling with the 33" mower- now THAT was entertainment! He is sooo much better than last year, came down here looking forward to a little work. The younger one had no clue. And now he does. At home, these little beasts are couch-dwelling video gamers. Not here. 5 more days, bet they go home at least 5lbs. lighter. :coolgrin: And no, the 10 yr. old didn't get through the RR-tie. But he did help load the sections I cut up, so I have to give him that.

Nothing wrong with that.When I was growing up barring rain/t-storms/lightning or blizzards,I was always outside playing or working on something when I got home from school until dark.Only coming inside to eat.Good that they are active.Hopefully that will continue as they get older.

Status
Not open for further replies.