Haulin' Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm coming in late on this thread but I would like to state I have hauled a ton of pellets many times in my 5.7 Tundra. I just put it in tow/haul mode and take it easy. Most 1/2 ton trucks are actually rated at about 1400-1750 pounds nowadays. Doesn't mean it is right but it def. is possible. Hell, I've hauled a ton a couple times in my 4L Tacoma that I had. That was a little nerve racking cause if the load is not perfectly centered the truck WILL shimmy. Strap it down good and keep it slow and steady; no sudden movements.

This year I got free delivery on my 4 tons so no hauling for me this year. I considered a decent trailer to haul them but that was still a few grand. If you plan on using your 1/2 ton truck for hauling pellets then atleast consider air bags--cheaper then a trailer and could save your springs. Keep in mind though... hauling a ton of pellets in a half ton is illegal though!

My 97 F150 dragged its ass with a ton in the bed. i called it scootching a bit... i had a pic.

yes here is a pic,

do not do this, i only had to go a couple miles but i had to step down to get in.

Deer08005.jpg

should look like this

gallery66.jpg

You will notice Woodsman had the ton right at the tailgate. Move em over the wheels to carry the load better ;-)

jtakeman said:
Werm said:
Werm said:
Jay, I wont bust on ya too much about the Ford but, that looks a bit low too me.
;-)

P.S. Bowties alway dress things up!

Lets see yer bowtie with a ton on her back!

Notice the trailer hitch in the second picture. Its still a 10" of the ground(bottom of the ball nut)! It never dragged. Most would need to pull it out cause of it dragging! She only squats 4-5 inches with this load. easy hauling!

I don't load the 2500 anymore, I just pull the loaded 7000# trailer! :coolsmile:

woodsman23 said:
My 97 F150 dragged its ass with a ton in the bed. i called it scootching a bit... i had a pic.

Ahh, you just need to add some weight on the front! JK! :cheese:

FYI to others-Some of the F150 are equiped with a tow pack or camper package(mine is). This gets you over the 2000lbs. weight limit. But they do ride a tad rougher. So would the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

If you decide to over load a 1/2 ton, Remember that DOT spot checks could send you to the scales. You WILL pay a fine if you are over weight. Unless your good at talking your way out of it.! Again just FYI to others only.

jtakeman said:
woodsman23 said:

Ahh, you just need to add some weight on the front! JK! :cheese:

FYI to others-Some of the F150 are equiped with a tow pack or camper package(mine is). This gets you over the 2000lbs. weight limit. But they do ride a tad rougher. So would the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

If you decide to over load a 1/2 ton, Remember that DOT spot checks could send you to the scales. You WILL pay a fine if you are over weight. Unless your good at talking your way out of it.! Again just FYI to others only.

Only if you have Commercial plates.. And I would never tow anything that is over what the max vehicle weight is.

Gumby1 said:
You will notice Woodsman had the ton right at the tailgate. Move em over the wheels to carry the load better ;-)

I was getting ready to unload them so i backed up fast and tapped thye brakes and slid it right against the gate.!!!!. Remember truck has over 300,xxx miles on it...

I 2nd the fordf 04 150 doing a ton no problem. I have them put in and centered (not much room with my step side). I then get them to drop and back out part way and then lift and push further into the bed. My truck has the heavy duty tow package and I also try to have a half tank or so of fuel to cut some weight. I strap and take my time. I have plenty of play before the springs bottom out. I actually put in 2600 lbs this year twice of gravel to do a patio (used to be pool), but that is another story. I usually measure the distance to the stops and i still had a couple of inches left before hitting the stops even with the gravel. I was a little more nervous with the gravel, kept an eye on the tires. Only had to go 7 miles loaded. I think the numbers can be pretty conservative. I just came back from the Hegins pa area camping. I had my vmax in the bed, wood for 4 nights fire, my ramps and the travel trailer hooked up (25') and no problems. Again, took my time and truck sat close to level. Ford is the way to go! LOL Bowties, funny.

Jim

Only bustin chevy folks!

Jim H. said:
I 2nd the fordf 04 150 doing a ton no problem. I have them put in and centered (not much room with my step side). I then get them to drop and back out part way and then lift and push further into the bed. My truck has the heavy duty tow package and I also try to have a half tank or so of fuel to cut some weight. I strap and take my time. I have plenty of play before the springs bottom out. I actually put in 2600 lbs this year twice of gravel to do a patio (used to be pool), but that is another story. I usually measure the distance to the stops and i still had a couple of inches left before hitting the stops even with the gravel. I was a little more nervous with the gravel, kept an eye on the tires. Only had to go 7 miles loaded. I think the numbers can be pretty conservative. I just came back from the Hegins pa area camping. I had my vmax in the bed, wood for 4 nights fire, my ramps and the travel trailer hooked up (25') and no problems. Again, took my time and truck sat close to level. Ford is the way to go! LOL Bowties, funny.

Jim

Only bustin chevy folks!

Resale...Resale...Resale!!!!!!!!! :)

That shortbox Flareside probably has a lighter rated suspension than most reg cab F150's... at least they used to when I sold 'em. The swb won't allow you to slide it far enough forward to put weight on the steer axle...

I've got an '07 F-150 scab with the 6 1/2' bed. I put 1 1/2 tons in the back and had no problem. I'm sure hauling this weight isn't good for the truck, but once or twice a year isn't going to do any lasting harm if it can handle it.
I'd hate to pay for delivery since this is one of the reasons I own a truck.

warmncozy said:
I'd hate to pay for delivery since this is one of the reasons I own a truck.

X2 with all the extra's I use the truck for warrents owning it and paying the extra gas-registration-taxes on it. I just don't drive it. It has to have a purpose or it wouldn't be worth owning it. Dump runs, hauling pellets and towing the boat are only a few! Just like me it has to work for a living or its useless!

woodsman23 said:

yes here is a pic,

do not do this, i only had to go a couple miles but i had to step down to get in.

Deer08005.jpg

should look like this

gallery66.jpg

That truck is rated like a SUV, real light springs, my '02 F-150 hauls a ton no problem, used to have a '96 F-250HD and haul 2 tons in a 8 foot bed no problems for years!!

yeah, I have the heavy duty tow package that included a higher capacity load in the bed. I just helped my brother in law take back some leftover blocks for a wall he did....those things are heavy! I was about an inch left before hitting the stop on the axle. They had a scale and I weighed in at 9310....WOW! then another trip back to the scale for unloaded and it was 5940! You do the math, a lot of weight! It did not have a problem, the day before he was hauling about that amount in his trailer and his bravada overheated! The weather here is in the 90's and the fluids all stayed at the normal range for the ford! And as far as re sale, never! I will drive it into the ground like all my past vehichles. 10 years or more on everything I have had. I don't like car payments! LOL

smwilliamson said:
Gumby1 said:

That would require shoveling the snow out of the back...

Snow was shoveled out, i had the pallet all the way back to unload. Let me tell you guys this truck has hauled 15 tons of pellets and never did i have any issues. I just was slow and steady and i stayed off the main roads. I bought this pickup to do work and i worked it well and often. The magnaflows never touched the ground once!!!!. truck was bulletproof..

In my view, it is not just whether the truck springs can handle the weight - it is the bearings, u-joints, brakes, etc.

Also, I have to wonder what your insurance company would say if you were involved in an accident with a load that exceeded the payload of the truck? Not to mention the police, etc....sounds like a lawyers wet dream, if you ask me.

fedtime said:
In my view, it is not just whether the truck springs can handle the weight - it is the bearings, u-joints, brakes, etc.

Also, I have to wonder what your insurance company would say if you were involved in an accident with a load that exceeded the payload of the truck? Not to mention the police, etc....sounds like a lawyers wet dream, if you ask me.

Being in a rural area I get to see a lot of overloaded pick-ups in the spring...loaded with feed, seed and fertilizer. Most farmers now have 3/4 or one tons now having seen the light about steady abuse of light duty trucks. Plus most now buy diesels to get a little better pulling power.

If you are careful the occasional heavy duty use of a 1/2 ton truck is OK... no different than the roller skate cars I see stuffed to the roof with household goods... or seeing a Camry with 8' long 2X4's sticking out of the trunk...

A few years ago I was down in Houston and I followed a fella from Mexico driving a short box Ford Ranger and he had loaded two pallets of asphalt shingle into the box...one stacked upon the other. When he took off from the stop signs he had to be EZ on the gas or the front wheels would come off the ground and he couldn't steer! He finally turned right but didn't quite make the turn... he skidded across the intersection and hit the curb... which straightened him up and got him going the right direction.

smwilliamson said:
So I fenced in my back yard in a rage to finally keep my dog in the yard. I went and got all of this fence, two trips...26 sections altogether. Busted my ass hand digging holes because I had gravel. Couldn't use an auger...took me all weekend, I cemented the posts in..went inside and passed out from exhaustion Sunday night. Monday morning I wake up to go to work and my truck is missing from the driveway. I ran around thinking I left it over to the neighbors...called the cops to report it stolen...I should have gone out back, there it was...fenced in! I drove it through a section of fence Dukes of Hazard style...YEEE HAW!

That night I fixed the fence. The next morning my dog dug a hole under the fence and escaped again.

Definite country music song material. :)

Well I just got some more info on my 2007 Silverado 1500. Its rated to haul 1950 lbs, so i'm fine. And it can tow over 12000. My truck has a hauling/towing mode. So for my truck atleast its safe to haul around a ton of pellets and actually does it effortlessly.

NorthernQuad said:
Well I just got some more info on my 2007 Silverado 1500. Its rated to haul 1950 lbs, so i'm fine. And it can tow over 12000. My truck has a hauling/towing mode. So for my truck atleast its safe to haul around a ton of pellets and actually does it effortlessly.

Just so ya know, payload capacity (in this case 1950#), includes driver, passengers, and anything else yer haulin' (like that 30 pack in the cooler with 20 # of ice), and a ton of pellets is 2000#, plus bag weight, plus pallet weight. Can ya do it? Sure. Should ya?? Weeeellllllll.............. Your call.

hossthehermit said:
NorthernQuad said:

Just so ya know, payload capacity (in this case 1950#), includes driver, passengers, and anything else yer haulin' (like that 30 pack in the cooler with 20 # of ice), and a ton of pellets is 2000#, plus bag weight, plus pallet weight. Can ya do it? Sure. Should ya?? Weeeellllllll.............. Your call.

It's a chevy. :sick: .... effortlessly and safe,,,, give me a break dude.

Actually, it hauls the pellets great. And it can haul close to 2000 pounds, so its good to go. Have a good one..

Status
Not open for further replies.