Have I just made a mistake? PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkyGuy

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
I am from Arkansas and recently purchased a woodstove due to the cost of utilities. I am in an all electric home (heat pump backup strips) and I purchased a PE Summit stove as a supplemental heater. I am wondering if I should have gone with a cat stove because of the longer shoulder season we have here. Arkansas certainly has all four seasons and our winters can be brutal! (Ice storms galore) with the possibility of power outages. I'm afraid my summit is going to burn me out of the house. 2300 sq ft single level, stove couldn't be more perfectly centered in house, however. I haven't lit a fire yet, could potentially trade stove in on a cat stove. Granted this stove will be a backup heater and that's about it. I am currently having the hearth I built stoned so I can't wait to post some pics on here when it's finished but until then I'm just doubting my purchase. Anyway, whats yalls two cents?

Rest. Ya done good. You burn in the stove for the heat you need. Shoulder seasons mean a morning burn and an evening burn. You don't have to burn around the clock.

You will be fine with that size house most of the time. In the warmer parts of the shoulders you might be better off with the heat pump anyways unless you get your wood for free..but you still have your labor even at that.

Every day the burn temps and cycles vary with the outside temps, sun and wind. It all becomes second nature. Kind of like dressing for the day and picking the coat to ware. Don't second guess yourself. The major brand stoves are very similar. Assuming you do a good chimney, use seasoned wood, most issues are the users learning curve.

You built your hearth whilst stoned??? :cool:

Welcome to the forums !!!!

Ha! Not quite what I meant Dixie, maybe 10 years ago that would've been true. Luckily there is tons of hardwood people trash here. I probably have two cords already of oak and pecan, so far it's all "free" as you say minus the backbreaking work involved. I started reading all these posts on BKs and the new hybrids and I really started doubting my purchase. My wife will likely never learn to start or tend a fire if I have to put money on it. I really wanted a viewable fire considering most of the time it would strictly be "backup" heat but I've enjoyed splitting wood by hand so much I could see it as a hobby as twisted as that is. I recently built my first woodshed per the Makah(sp?) burnwise plans on here. It's ok but i'd do it a bit different next time with some simple mods to make it sturdier. Sidenote: do people tend to load their Summits N/S or E/W, is any way preferable? Maybe I'll actually get a fire going in this thing soon just to burn the paint off. Thank god it finally warmed up here though, I hope the same for most of you up north. It was awful here this winter.

Every day the burn temps and cycles vary with the outside temps, sun and wind. It all becomes second nature. Kind of like dressing for the day and picking the coat to ware. Don't second guess yourself. The major brand stoves are very similar. Assuming you do a good chimney, use seasoned wood, most issues are the users learning curve.
Thx Xman, I have about a 22ft chimney straight up. I assume that it will draft well considering there are no bends. Seasoned wood is still going to be an issue, I have a couple cords split (white/red oak & pecan but it wont be anywhere near 3 years once I start burning it) THe pecan was from a dead tree and its almost dry I can tell. The oak......well. It's there. Maybe our 90 degree summers will speed it up.

"Be nice to Arkansas. Take a hog to lunch."

Sign a friend in Texas used to have in front of his cafe.

Just get a moisture meter and test on a fresh split and even 22% will be ok.
I bet two years and your oak will be fine.

I run the same firebox in a 2000 sq ft house in a mild climate. It does fine with just a partial load of fuel in milder weather. When it's above 45 we let the heat pump do its job. When it drops down into the 30s or lower we burn 24/7 with full loads no problem.

I run the same firebox in a 2000 sq ft house in a mild climate. It does fine with just a partial load of fuel in milder weather. When it's above 45 we let the heat pump do its job. When it drops down into the 30s or lower we burn 24/7 with full loads no problem.
Thx Begreen, that's generally what I had hoped to hear. Do you load N/s or E/w? Just purchased a moisture meter on amazon so we'll see what this pecan is I have.

Hey, Arkansas here as well! I have also been eying the Summit. Where'd you purchase yours? Congo? And yes, this winter has been horrible! I've never been more ready to see 100*.

Thx Begreen, that's generally what I had hoped to hear. Do you load N/s or E/w? Just purchased a moisture meter on amazon so we'll see what this pecan is I have.

Usually I'll load N/S, but sometimes if I want a slower burn I will load it E/W.

I'd try and get some of the quicker seasoning woods like maple and ash, not sure what species is prevalent in your area but around here that's what I'd be looking for burning next year.

I am wondering if I should have gone with a cat stove because of the longer shoulder season we have here.

No. Our winters are nothing but "shoulder seasons" (I'd never heard that term before I signed up here) and lots of people are heating just fine without a cat stove. If you're too warm, crack a window.

Thx Xman, I have about a 22ft chimney straight up. I assume that it will draft well considering there are no bends. Seasoned wood is still going to be an issue, I have a couple cords split (white/red oak & pecan but it wont be anywhere near 3 years once I start burning it) THe pecan was from a dead tree and its almost dry I can tell. The oak......well. It's there. Maybe our 90 degree summers will speed it up.

Google 'Solar Kiln' if you want to speed up the drying process a little.
http://owic.oregonstate.edu/solarkiln/plans.htm
http://sbio.vt.edu/about/extension/vtsolar_kiln/

I suppose desiccant could work. But no idea how long it would take. Plus be a big PITA compared to a solar kiln.

Hey, Arkansas here as well! I have also been eying the Summit. Where'd you purchase yours? Congo? And yes, this winter has been horrible! I've never been more ready to see 100*.
Hey Eric! Yes I purchased it at Congo. Your thread is actually the one that made me think I should've gotten a cat. I bought my stove about 3 months ago and as of now it's still a 500lbs paper weight.

CHecking out solar kiln now...

If you're too warm, crack a window.

That's a good way to make the neighbors not like you :)

Rest. Ya done good. You burn in the stove for the heat you need. Shoulder seasons mean a morning burn and an evening burn. You don't have to burn around the clock.

Always easier to build a small fire in a big stove than the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.