Having a hard time judging if this is enough wood??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michiganwinters

Hearth Supporter
Aug 24, 2007
People talk about woodburning being a lifestyle. Well, Im in 110%! Finding wood is like treasure hunting for us. For every rick or chord we figure how much LP that would equal out to and its like jackpot. Last year was a real hard winter here in michigan. We used just under 4 chords burning 24/7. We just puchased last year and had to buy wood....it was crap and not very seasoned. So last summer we tried to get 2 years of wood and then this summer grab another year so we are always seasoned 2 years.

The shed is still in progress. We have to trim the roof steel as we used factory seconds and they arent 100% square. We face south and get quite a bit of wind. Its all sand so when its full sun and hot.......ITS HOT! Anyway, when its time to cover we have attachable sides and are going to tarp front for access. 99% of this is all oak, mostly red but some black and white. The side of the shed it 8'x8'x16'. I have some staked next to in on a 12' x 6' deep pallet....its probably stacked 6' high at the tallest point. Do you thing this is enough for 3 years? My splits are getting better but most of these range from 16"-20" hense the pile of trimoffs next to the woodpile.

Thanks
Audrey

Attachments

• woodshed 001.jpg
    woodshed 001.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 576
  • woodshed 002.jpg
    woodshed 002.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 553
Hard to say if that is enough for 3 years. Depends on alot of different factors, but your on the right track. I like to get 2 years ahead on my supply. That insures you have good dry wood. I fell into a stash of Red Oak that I just couldn't resist, so I'll probably get 3 years out.

Hi -

I'm impressed. Nice work. I'm thinking you are in good shape. That Oak has a lot of heat. I'm burning a similar amount of Ash, whic h burns well, but is lighter, so it doesn't last as long.

ATB,
Mike P

My guess is your lucky to get 2 full heating seasons out of that.
You can never have too much, not enough really sucks. especially on extended winter like the one that just passed.
Better safe than sorry.

Audrey, it should be easy to figure your wood needs. Your shed holds 8 cords (not chords). If you have 1/2 again as much, that should last 3 years. However, even though last winter was a cold and long one, it certainly was by no means our coldest winter. We did not have a prolonged cold where we had lots of below zero readings last winter, but overall I'd say it was close to normal but slightly below, only because the cold lasted so long in the spring.

Those trim-offs will still give you good burns. Just double up on them. So get them split and stacked too. You might even make some kindling out of some of them.

On the shed, is the picture misleading? It almost looks as if the roofing was put on sideways. Also, you really don't have to cover the sides but is okay if you wish, especially after the wood has seasoned. Personally, I'd leave the sides open full time.

Good luck to you. Nice project you have going there and that oak will give you much heat.

Just keep cutting, and cutting, and cutting....

Using my standard consumption of 5 cords in Northern Illinois, my guess is that you may have 2 years worth, but not 3. Of course that depends on lots of things (weather, 24 x 7 burning, house, etc).

Heck, I still see empty spaces in that yard. Fill'em up. Its NEVER enough.

Edit: and nice looking pile of stove chow. Gotta love oak.

Thanks for all of your replies. I figured I probably had another 2-3 cords to get based on my calculations. Jags I think your stove must be bigger than mine, or maybe your house is. I used 3 cords 2 ricks and that was burning 24/7 hose at 75 all winter. We were really cold here in Feb, so we used more than the other months.

You'd think that I would come across lots of ash due the the ash disease....but we are surrounded by oaks and pine (red, white, jack). It was really dry here last summer and there was alot of oak wilt so we found quite a bit of wood.

As for the shed....you think its OK to leave sides off???? We get quite the wind and when the pile gets down a bit snow will blow in and sit on the wood. The steel roof was run front to back but was out of square as those pieces were factory seconds....maybe thats why it looks funny?

I was hoping that I was closer than I thought I was. Crashed my banshee at Silver Lake and herniated a disk, so throwing wood is a bit tricky right now...LOL

We were thinking of putting a coil in to lower DHW costs.....Maybe in the next house. PE should sell a kit for that. :D

michiganwinters said:
Jags I think your stove must be bigger than mine, or maybe your house is. I used 3 cords 2 ricks and that was burning 24/7 hose at 75 all winter. We were really cold here in Feb, so we used more than the other months.

1750 sqft, 2 story, 110 year old farm house on a hill with little/no wind break in Northern Illinois using a cast iron stove, with a 3 cubic ft firebox. I live only a few miles from an established wind farm, with another going in about 5 miles to the west of me. Yeah, I go through some wood. Its always windy at my house.

Feel lucky that you "only" go through 3 and 2/3's of a cord per year. At that rate, you probably DO have your 3 yrs of wood (or close to it). But remember: ITS NEVER ENOUGH - now get to choppin' :cheese:

michiganwinters The important thing is that you're way ahead of the curve...good job. Trouble with us wood burners is that it's never over...but it does get easier know you're not behind the 8 ball. Nice shed too.

[/quote]

1750 sqft, 2 story, 110 year old farm house on a hill with little/no wind break in Northern Illinois using a cast iron stove, with a 3 cubic ft firebox. I live only a few miles from an established wind farm, with another going in about 5 miles to the west of me. Yeah, I go through some wood. Its always windy at my house.

Feel lucky that you "only" go through 3 and 2/3's of a cord per year. At that rate, you probably DO have your 3 yrs of wood (or close to it). But remember: ITS NEVER ENOUGH - now get to choppin' :cheese:[/quote]

I dont think I can stop collecting wood. If I see it, its like seeing dollar bills....and Im part dutch. So, if Im driving about and see money laying on the ground,...you know darn well Im gonna pick it up, even if Im 5 years ahead..LOL.

We tried to really think things through went we built. We are southern exp. and put the garage on the west end of the house to block all of the wind we get. With the low E windows and a sunny day, its time to crack the windows ;)

There is no such phrase as" enough wood"? You want heat, comfort, security? keep on collecting and processing :smirk:

sonnyinbc said:
There is no such phrase as" enough wood"? You want heat, comfort, security? keep on collecting and processing :smirk:

The Canuck speaks the truth. %-P I can't count the March months where I was out scrounging wet wood and stacking it beside the stove to dry it out enough to "kinda" burn.

And chipping it out of the chimney in June.

Depending on what your snow / rain/ freeze / wind cycles are like, you might want to throw a tarp on the windward side before the bad weather comes.

Going out to the wood pile with a sledge hammer to break splits out of wind blown ice and snow gets lame quick.
Especially when it's a bit windy and cold. At 2 AM. Melting puddles on the floor inside can be a pain, too.

I can't stand the sight nor sound (especially ripped) of blue plastic so I've used plywood sheets .
I've used strip boards spaced to let some wind through and keep out <most> of the weather, too. It's enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.