health issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beachquilter

Nov 16, 2007
Alaska
We have an older wood burning stove that came with the house. I have noticed lately that I can smell smoke all the time and I seem to be coughing quite a bit. At times I can see the fire burning through the pipe to the roof. I am trying to convince my husband that we need to get a new one or at least a new inside chimney. Can you tell me what health issues are related to these problems, if any. Thanks.

The first issue is DEATH, if you can see the fire then you are getting carbon monoxide with that smoke. Also, if it burns the house down, you might burn with it. Then there is the issue of filling your lungs with smoke while you sleep and possibly not waking up. I'd say you need to have the chimney inspected by a professional, determine if the stove is emitting so much smoke it is generating creosote that could result in an ugly fire and have the inspector determine if the stove itself is rebuildable or needs to be replaced.

^
What he said

Seeing fire from the pipe is the first sign that something is wrong
That wrong could mean a foundation with CSI looking for remains

Beachquilter, welcome. This is no matter for delay. Don't burn any more fires in this stove until the flue is fixed or replaced. This is a potentially very dangerous situation. Carbon monoxide is a silent and deadly killer.

Put hubby online and we'll answer any questions he may have. If you can, post some pictures of the setup and the problems areas.

You should have working smoke detectors and working carbon monoxide detectors in the stove room, in the room you sleep in and on each floor of your house. If not go to the store and buy them. If the ones you have are over five years old replace them, if not get new batteries and test them. Life's to short already!

not beating a dead horse, but ALL OF THE ADVICE above should be adhered to. dont use the unit any more, get a chimney professional to inspect the flue system and stove. this sounds to me like a very dangerous situation and should be treated as potentially life threatening!

get it checked , serviced, or replaced if necessary, the life you save may be your own

Welcome aboard we are really hammering you for a reason.

Ive seen house fires (on one caused by a wood stove I helped open the fire hydrant) chimney fires and the affects of co poisoning.

Just don't let it happen!

If you have any questions just ask we are not always this blunt.

Well thanks you guys, I've got him looking at new stoves and we took the chimney down and replaced it today on the old one. He's looking at a Vogelzang, any comments?

Good to hear. I've been worried about you. Which Vogelzang? Some are not EPA or home approved. The black boxwood stoves in particular will not stand up to the 24/7 burning you need to do in AK. It won't stand up and you will be repeating this all over again soon. And it will use more wood than you need to. In general we discourage them because there are better alternatives. Going too cheap when your life is at stake can be a one time mistake.

Can you give us an idea of the size of the space you are trying to heat? Are you in southern, central or northern AK? Do you have a home depot anywhere in the area? I am thinking Englander stoves if you have an HD nearby. If not, do you need the stove shipped?

Spend the few extra bucks and go with an Englander 30.

Beachquilter, We had an old stove and replaced it last year. The last year we used it, I told my husband we would have a new stove by the next season or else. It wasn't until I found this place that I truly understood how unsafe it had become and we were lucky the house didn't burn down.

We have a Lindal type cedar home and we use the stove to heat the entire house. It's about 1500 square feet and has high cathedral ceilings. We live in southern southeast alaska. I just want to tell you all I am so greatful for your advice. Now if I can just get something to listen.

Put hubby on, let him ask any questions he needs to. I can understand trying to save money, but if the place burns down or someone is dead, it all becomes a moot point. Seeing you are going to be burning 24/7, a decent stove is an investment and an insurance policy.

It sounds like a medium-sized Englander will work ok for you, especially if you have a ceiling fan to handle the heat stratification at the top of the a-frame.

He'll like a good new stove. That will mean a larger log size and a lot less wood consumed - less work for him. It will be safe, controllable and it will last 10x longer than the Vogelzang as long as it is burned properly.

Here's a link to ACE Hardware's listing for an Englander 13-NCL. Also sold at Home Depot.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(qxa2rdjjjtt2uh45fdu3gjf0)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=4236998

Well, that's a world better than the BX box stove. The Durango is a new stove and I don't remember any postings by owners for it yet. It's hard to say how it will stand up. 3/16" is not heavy gauge steel. I'd prefer at least 1/4 or 5/16" for the stove top, like on the Drolets, but it might be ok. If he's looking through a Northern Tools catalog, take a look at the Drolet Classic for comparison.

You also might want to ask if there are any Pacific Energy stove dealers in your area. A PE Spectrum would be just right and a great overnight burner.

I would choose a Drolet any day over cheaply made Chinese junk Vogelzang Begreen there is no mid size Englander either the nc 13 or nc30

Century has some mid sizes You say the pipe was replaced with what ? Not single wall connector pipe but real Class A pipe right?

We are not advising you to drain you wallet but giving you a margin of safety. If you get it right you will sleep at night wrong you may never worry again . this is not a game but truly safety advice I( satyed out of this post because the members covered the warnings and dangers. you may PM me anytime for advice or post here but for safety sake let's get it right

Status
Not open for further replies.