hearth build project going ok - Thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyefish2

Apr 19, 2011
UP Mi
To the folks who commented a couple months back that it is easy to build a tile hearth (ember protection only for Joltul Oslo) ==> Thanks. My cost will be approx $150 vs $500-600 for a hearth pad at 54"X54".

I have been taking my time over the last couple weeks. Started by putting 3/4" plywood on top of the existing plywood subfloor. Then put 1/2" hardibacker on top of it. A salesperson at Home Depot was very helpful in explaining exactly what I needed to buy for the project (hardibacker, tile, thin set, tile spacers, grout, "thin set trowel with teeth", "hard sponge grout trowel"). I borrowed a wet tile cutter from my neighbor (basically a table saw with a blade that runs through a water puddle below the sawblade). This made cutting the tile very easy. Easy to get a straight cut. I found I had less chipping on the tile surface with the tile turned upside down as I cut it.

At this point, the tile is laid (yet to be grouted). It was easy and took approx 4 hours to set the tile on the hardibacker (not rushed and took my time). My only concern with laying the tile was that maybe my thinset was a little too thick??? Never did it before (time will tell if it comes loose). I added a little more water towards the end of laying the tile and it seemed to work better. Hardest part to this point was determining the tile layout with one foot square tiles ( corner hearth with the front corner cut off). This took a couple nights and a couple cold ones. I am looking forward to measuring the fire box of the stove. Not sure if I should use bottles or cans?

I expect the grouting, sealing and trim work should go easy. Any whoo.......thanks to those who said go for it. It was easy, relatively inexpensive and will look nice. Do your home work and talk to folks at work and where ever about the job (everybody has a different learning or comment). I took some pics and hope to post them after the stove is installed (posting pics will be another project). Will see how the stove looks with our buttercup yellow walls.

Glad to hear it is going well. Your thinset should be fine so long as it didn't fill in between the tiles where you are going to grout.

Can't wait to see it. Bet it will look great next to the buttercup walls!

pen

This post needs pics . . . now . . . or when you get it finished.

Sounds like things are going well . . . having done my first tiling job when I built my hearth I wholeheartedly recommend folks build their own . . . saves you money, you can build it better than the pre-built ones if you so choose and every time you look over at the fire I will guarantee you that you will just be full of pride at the good job that you did.

I built my hearth this summer and the pics of the project are posted here.. I'd like to see your progress pics when you have a chance..

Good Luck,
Ray

Pics or it didn't happen I do believe is how it goes here.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
Pics or it didn't happen I do believe is how it goes here.

Shawn

That's it. That is it. Now, I will have to post some pics. Will do as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.