1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

hearth building advice?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by NBABUCKS1, Jul 14, 2013.

1. NBABUCKS1

NBABUCKS1 New Member

Loc:
    Kodiak, AK
    I was thinking of using local beach stone to build my corner hearth. Most of the books on masonry and stonework show people building w/ cultured stone where the pieces stack on each other.

My idea was to use these bigger pieces as the base flat and using the smaller flat pieces and sticking them on the wall with whatever cement is supposed to be used. Each rock is about .75" thick

Is there any good books/websites/articles you'd recommend that would help me? Will my idea work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Shouldn't be a problem except for creating a level surface for the stove to sit on.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME

If you make certain that you comply with the various k and or R values to shield any combustibles that is.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good point. The set stones will create an ember barrier, but if the stove specs set a hearth insulation value then that must be met or exceeded. As with the flue installation, meeting or exceeding clearance and combustion requirements is critical.

What make/model stove is being installed?
  5. NBABUCKS1

NBABUCKS1 New Member

Loc:
    Kodiak, AK
    Sorry I don't get reminders on this.

My stove I am planning on using is the True North 19. It appears you only need protection from embers, but not not any kind of r value.

I have laid down hardibacker on top of plywood. Now I don't know weather to use thinset or thickset. Any recommendation of the morter I should use?
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'd probably elect to use a thickset mortar, like the stuff you'd use for natural tile. I've done a LOT of stone masonry on my house, but not with small stones like that. Your idea will definitely work, but make certain to do like BeGreen said and make a nice, level surface for your stove to sit. maybe set all the stones where the stove would be in thickset at the same time, and use a flat, plywood board and level to tap them all level. After that, you can do a natural, rustic look to the stones. I'm anxious to see this hearth!
  7. NBABUCKS1

NBABUCKS1 New Member

Loc:
    Kodiak, AK
    Ended up sourcing a bit thiner rocks that are a bit smaller. It's going to be a lot of grouting.

I Ended up putting down a layer of hardibacker over thinset over plywood. On the hardibacker I used a medium set grout w/ a 1/2" scratch coat. It is setting up right now.

I am going to use a sanded grout to fill in the grout.

Any recommendations on a product to seal the grout and the stone?