Hearth building question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC_Double

Hearth Supporter
Feb 13, 2008
SW Ohio
Hello,

Well, we made the stove purchase and ended up with the Quadra-Fire Cumberland Gap. I hope this was a good choice. We are getting ready to start building the hearth and ran across this guide for building one.

http://www.woodstove.com/guidepdfs/Plan your hearth.pdf

Do you all feel that the section about building one is correct and safe? We plan on building this on the slab floor. As of right now we are going to build it large enough that the back of the stove meets the clearence to a combustible surface. This summer I will Durock the walls and use veneer stone on it.

Are these good instructions to follow?

Thanks!

Congratulations TAC, that looks like a nice stove. The instructions on Woodstock's website are excellent though in your case they may be overkill. If the hearth is being built on slab, you don't need much more than a level substrate for the tile or stone to be set on. As for the walls, if you are placing the stove so that after the wall is built, combustible clearances are still honored, then no need for the air gap behind it.

Take lots of pictures as the installation progresses. I am curious about this stove and how it performs.

Well, I forgot to mention the fact that we were going to be raising the hearth about 8" so that it was easier to access the ash pan and for loading. SO.... I think we have a plan to go with now.

Thanks!

Finally someone else on the forum with a Cumberland Gap! I bought this stove three seasons ago and love it. I have the horiz vent out the back and then vertical outside the house 2 stories. I've been doing the "top-down" fire starting and it seems to work good. I do leave the side door cracked a bit until it gets going good. That maybe due to the horiz pipe and getting the draft going. I think you'll be very happy with the stove. I got the magohany finish which still looks excellent. Good luck.

glassman, can you describe how the Cumberland Gap has worked out for you? What are the burn times like and at what temps? How is the stove standing up so far?

The stove is holding up very well and I'm very happy with it. We basically use it for our heat source here on Long Island. We pretty much burn 24/7 except for those winter days when we get up into the 50's when we let it burn out overnight and then start it up again the following night also clean it and empty the ash pan. We pack it at night with 4 -6 pieces depending on the sizes and will turn the air down about to 1/4 and in the morning we will still have coals. Keeps the house in the mid to high 70's with the stove room hitting 80-82 every now and then. The burn times will vary to 6-8 hours and this stove will consume wood if you run it wide open. I have the stove thermometer on the side door and when its going good will read just under 400. I usually run in the 300-400 range. I pretty much will go through 3 - 4 cords of wood a season.

Would recommend this stove to anyone, simple to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.