1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hearth.com...as good as having sex

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by fossil, May 21, 2012.

1. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    From the Los Angeles Times:

Need satisfaction? Tweet about yourself
    May 09, 2012|Deborah Netburn
    Researchers at Harvard University have gotten to the bottom of why so many people are compelled to share our every thought, movement, like and want through social networks like Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram and Pinterest.
    In a series of experiments, the researchers found that the act of disclosing information about oneself activates the same sensation of pleasure in the brain that we get from eating, getting money or having sex.
    This may help explain recent surveys of Internet use that show that roughly 80% of posts to social media sites like Twitter and Facebook consist simply of announcements about one's own immediate experience.
    Lead researcher Diana Tamir and her co-author, Jason P. Mitchell, devised a series of experiments to measure the reward response that people get when they talk about themselves.
    For part of the study, they hooked up test subjects to an MRI machine and watched the participants' brain activity as they answered questions about their own opinions and questions about other people's opinions.
    The researchers found that the brain regions associated with reward -- the nucleus accumbens and the ventral tegmental area -- were strongly engaged when people were talking about themselves and less engaged when they were talking about someone else.
    They also found that the test subjects would turn down money (just a few cents) to talk about someone else, in order to enjoy the more pleasurable sensation of talking about themselves.
    In the second part of the study, the researchers wanted to find out how important having an audience is to listen to one's self-disclosure.
    "We didn't know if self-disclosure was rewarding because you get to think about yourself and thinking about yourself is rewarding, or if it is important to have an audience," Tamir said.
    As anyone with 700 Facebook friends might have guessed, the researchers found greater reward activity in the brains of people when they got to share their thoughts with a friend or family member, and less of a reward sensation when they were told their thoughts would be kept private.
    "I think the study helps to explain why people utilize social media websites so often," Tamir said. "I think it helps explain why Twitter exists and why Facebook is so popular -- because people enjoy sharing information about each other."
    n3pro likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Plus- plus- during virtual wood sex, one incurs less splinters. uh- did I miss the point? [​IMG]
    n3pro, ScotO, GAMMA RAY and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    That explains multiple posts ;lol
    n3pro likes this.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Fine, but now let's talk about me...
  5. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    How much will you pay me?
  6. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Is that why I fall asleep after I post? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......
  7. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Gotta go have a smoke.
  8. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    OK let me test this theory out...

I woke up today at 3:30am...I did not want to wake up. I had entirely too many bags under my eyes this morning.
    I took a long shower...still had the bags. Made myself presentable for modern society and went to work.
    I performed 8 nuclear stress tests today.

Out of the 8, one had an anxiety attack during the test; one smoked 2 packs of cigs before he came for the test, one forgot his hearing aids and could not hear a thing and another one stopped at McDonalds across the street on the way and was eating an Egg McMuffin as he was walking in the door. The other four were pretty much normal except one forgot his teeth...(really non-essential.)

I came home and split and stacked about a quarter of a cord of wood.

I grilled some BBQ chicken and made some rice pilaf...and played with Freeway.

Now....really who the eff has 700 facebook friends? Are you kidding me?
    I do not agree with this study...no stimulating pleasure in sharing my day.
    Plus....how come I can't get a friggin Mri for a broken foot and they perform them for these studies dammit!;lol

Good read though Foss...I enjoyed it.... half smiley.jpg
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    If posting on Facebook gives the same pleasure as sex, I submit that the researchers or their subjects have never had good sex. Well, I've never had 700 friends either.

Gamma, it sounds like you had an interesting day.
    fox9988, Gasifier, n3pro and 2 others like this.
  10. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I propose its different for men than woman.The wife would not have a hard time gettin me off hearth.com to have sex,now gettin her off facebook so we could have sex............................................................... could be awhile.
    ScotO and Jack Straw like this.
  11. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    "Go tweet yourself." just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi.
  12. dorkweed

dorkweed Guest

I get wood when I get wood.
    ScotO and DexterDay like this.
  13. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Me too......

So, how much sex did the "likes" capability of the new forum add?
    tfdchief likes this.
  14. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I still hate twitter. How would y'all want to hear from me each morning asking "should I wear the Sierra Club T shirt of the "Let Irv Serve" one that my MIL gave me.
  15. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I understood the getting the brain wave readings for tweeting in the MRI but wonder how the hell they got people to have sex in an MRI machine. Now THAT is kinky. ;lol
    firefighterjake likes this.
  16. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    There is something wrong with ALL of you AND the researchers. As I remember, sex was much better than this place.;lol
  17. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

!! Remember! !! How long has it been?? ;) LOL.....
    Backwoods Savage and tfdchief like this.
  18. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I'm just gonna' make something perfectly clear. No web site (Hearth.com included) is better than sex.
    Carry on.
    ScotO likes this.
  19. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    hearth.cum/forums/wood

Yeah baby.
  20. dorkweed

dorkweed Guest

You know that look women get when they just have to have sex right at that moment....................... Neither do I.
  21. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    I think this whole Facetweet phenomenon is goofy. Times like this, I'm glad I have more years behind me than I have ahead. :rolleyes:
  22. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    Is this the place to ask for a Mature Section ?

Mature.jpg Mature 1.jpg :ZZZ That's the look Dork
  23. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    "In a series of experiments, the researchers found that the act of disclosing information about oneself activates the same sensation of pleasure in the brain that we get from eating, getting money or having sex."

Mountains / molehills.
  24. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I've been I told I don't give good post ;sick , you know I'm not 19 anymore!
  25. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    First thing that popped into my head:
    Adios1.jpg
    ScotO and Adios Pantalones like this.