Hearth.com meetup Party (lowel,ma) - Save the date!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey goose your post says that i was there but i was not. sorry i missed and didn't get back to ya.
seems i always miss out on the good stuff. was looking forward to meeting everyone and trying some of that mead. i'am a home brewer and love drinking it. unfortunately i don't get to do to much brewing since the wife doesn't like the aroma of the wort. i was running around like a mad man looking for two bedroom sets for my twins. and that took dam near most of the day. and about
$50.00 in fuel.

if you do it again next year by hook or crook i'll be there. (with my epi pen in case one of your bees doesn't like me)

elkimmeg said:
Gva and I were on some of the initial donor installations with Turner the burner I will really miss you if you go south. The work coddination between us just fell in place

Thanks we have Harley and now Keyman but others have expressed interest and Tom's tavern. Tom the actual Tavern owner, was impressed we all help another for free. He did not know

Says if any other gathering in the future happens we are welcome there and He will take care of us.

Keyman need a Pellet stove working on that angle mI have to check around to see if I can rebuild or refurbish some stoves.

BTW my wife thinks I nuts asked what I did I told here tqke a stove apart then she ask what in it for me she can't see its something I enjoy doing Then she said Don't I think I went a little overboard with my wood gathering? She just does not get it, if it is for the taking its mine.

Well Keyman that tree was bigger than I thought. The 18" bar did not make it threw the base. when i was cutting it today I evicted a chipmunk familly. The center was gone hollow,snapped that tree like a twig with the backhoe Then picked up to make cutting easy. Goose has a 3' diameter length in his pile really way toomuch for that Poulan and it is sitting on top the pile.
be real carefull cutting that one. Man I should have brought my 357 xp to goose's, that would have reduced that pile in no time Cut my 20 " here today is less than 1/2 hour in rounds wood chips everwhere All cut split ans staCKED ALMOST A FULL CORD OUT OF THAT TREE .

I HAVE A HARD TIME IMAGINING WHY AN OCCASIONAL CORD WOOD CUTTER WOULD NEED MORE SAW THAN THIS. Most of the time I use a 14" bar Craftsman/poulan nice to have only 6 lbs to lugg around.
Heard stories from Keyman about taking that tree down Elk. And about going overboard on wood? My wife is partially resigned to this obsession, no, lets say "passion"! I've got about 20 cords, still have some cutting and stacking of that to do, but if someone comes along with something good for free I'll still be all over it. Dried, stacked and protected from the elements it's not gonna go bad. Hell, if I had to I could sell some I suppose, or give some to someone in need. Always bugs me to see great firewood somewhere not being used or taken care of!

fbelec said:
hey goose your post says that i was there but i was not. sorry i missed and didn't get back to ya.
seems i always miss out on the good stuff. was looking forward to meeting everyone and trying some of that mead. i'am a home brewer and love drinking it. unfortunately i don't get to do to much brewing since the wife doesn't like the aroma of the wort. i was running around like a mad man looking for two bedroom sets for my twins. and that took dam near most of the day. and about
$50.00 in fuel.

if you do it again next year by hook or crook i'll be there. (with my epi pen in case one of your bees doesn't like me)

Arghh... :red: No wonder I was saying that you said you were going to be there, but that I couldn't put a face with the name.... :-S. I figured that I have a lousy memory for names, and I'd messed up in the various running around between the grilling area and the other spots where folks were hanging out... The downside of hosting one of these deals is that there are all sorts of great conversations that get going, but running around being a good host means you miss a lot of them...

The honeybees aren't a problem for most people as they really don't want anything to do with people or people-food - About the only time a honeybee will sting is if you are stepping on it, or are trying to get into the hive (and note that many beekeepers don't wear much PPE as if it's done right you don't get stung even then...) OTOH I did have some yellowjackets hanging around, they will go after people-food, and they are NASTY - but they aren't my bees... However, if you need an epipen, it's a good idea to carry it to an event like this because of the yellowjackets, not the honeybees.

Sounds like folks are interested in having another one of these gatherings next year, so I may be willing.

Gooserider said:
BrotherBart said:
Roll call and festivities update time!

People came, we dodged raindrops intermittently, mostly didn't use the pool, had some brief looks at the funny cutting chainsaw, did some significant dissasembly of the donor stove and got it off the truck and into the garage. We played some with Elk's "most powerful electric splitter", my monster maul, and jpl1nh's supersplitter axe, and even with Web's "slap-hammer" spear splitter - (BTW, Web, did you intend to leave that here - I noticed it outside when I was picking things up tonight...) Each tool was impressive in it's own way. Elk had also brought along his old McCulloch yellow monster chainsaw, which he wanted to start for a demo - it almost worked, but wouldn't stay running - trouble shooting revealed a broken plug wire.

About this time I had to head to the kitchen where I injected the turkey with a fun high octane marinade - Lemon Juice, very local honey, hot sauces, garlic juice, some hot peppers and herbs from my garden patch, (yes, we achieved ignition :wow: :exclaim: ) Then we dropped the bird in 350* boiling oil for a 40 minute swim, while we fixed some burgers, popped some mead, (we killed about 3+ 750ml bottles - I'll let others report on the taste..) and enjoyed other goodies. I think a good time was had by all...

Attendance -

Elk

My friend Tim from NH, with his son Cody

Web and Webwidow

jpl1nh

BurningIsLove

Kellog

fbelec

keyman512us, arrived late, missed Web and Webwidow, but saw everyone else.

The weather was a bit iffy, and I think Cody was the only one that actually used the pool, but I think a good time was had by all...

I'm open to the idea of making it an annual event if everybody else is into it...

Gooserider

(I did take a few pics, but it will take me a day or two to pull them off the camera and format them for posting.)

Gooserider

***edit***

I did show late (missed Elk by twenty minutes) but did get to meet web & web widow. Good all around attendance. Also I managed to get my "Mrs." to come along. Good conversation and company.

Goose and his Mrs. were good hosts.

Goose, I'll be in touch soon about the sump pump issues etc... I'll stop by soon, you are only 45 minutes away...I'll call before I try to stop over.

It was nice to finally be able to place some faces with some of the names... I enjoyed finally getting to meet other members of the forum. Perhaps we can have another gathering in the fall... ;) "Stay Tuned"...lol

Thanks, again Gooserider for the party & the delicious victuals (Im still thinking fondly about that turkey & mead). If you ever have another, I'll definitely show up earlier so I can participate more heavily. And I'll bring the 24 ton splitter.

Great to meet the rest of you as well....Elk, sorry I didnt get to say more than 10 words to you as you were leaving the driveway!

BurningIsLove said:
Thanks, again Gooserider for the party & the delicious victuals (Im still thinking fondly about that turkey & mead). If you ever have another, I'll definitely show up earlier so I can participate more heavily. And I'll bring the 24 ton splitter.

Great to meet the rest of you as well....Elk, sorry I didnt get to say more than 10 words to you as you were leaving the driveway!

You are welcome, and don't forget that we might want to talk at some point about working out some kind of deal to let me use the splitter for a bit - at least once I get my saw working properly again.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.