Hearth & Connector Pipe Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sassafras

Hearth Supporter
Sep 11, 2009
Kentucky
We're considering the purchase of a Lopi Leyden and are prepping the area. We're ready to lay tile for the hearth and have purchased slate. Is slate durable enough to withstand the weight of the stove? Sales associates at two tile stores said "yes."

Secondly we're not sure if we should raise the hearth so the connector pipe is a straight shot into the wall, which would be an added expense and time of building a frame and pouring concrete - OR - will we be okay if the connector pipe comes straight up vertically only six inches then a 90 degree bend into the vent pipe? We'd like the woodstove to be installed directly onto the tile floor, but are concerned about how hot the connector pipe would get. Should we be concerned?

Draft is not a concern, the chimney sweep professional who checked the chimney and draft said our draft was 'amazing'

The installation is in the unfinished basement of a ranch home with a very long chimney.

Two things I can think of which you should be aware of: 1.) an unfinished basement can really rob you of a ton of BTUs and force you to run the stove hard. Please take a few minutes to read this: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/basement_install.html

2.) the Leyden, though a good stove, uses a "downdraft" technology to achieve secondary combustion. Though this technology works, you will find that it may very well place a great deal of stress on the refractory in the back of the stove. If you have to run it hard because of an uninsulated basement, you may find that you're wearing out the stove faster than normal.

Now, bear in mind that I have never personally operated a downdraft type EPA stove. I am basing my comments on experiences I have read here. Others will chime in with more knowledgeable advice, but please take a moment to read the link.

Slate: No problems. A few suggestions however. Make sure you get a good quality slate to reduce the likelihood of flaking. Use a sealant on the stone. When building the hearth make sure the sub-structure is very rigid to avoid flex which in turns leads to popped and cracked tile/stone. I would also highly recommend using Durock as a backer board, securing it firmly and using a tile adhesive with some build in flex such as Versabond.

Status
Not open for further replies.