Hearth extension question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hesta

Mar 21, 2017
Idaho

Got the chimneys in finally. One last issue. I need this hearth extended by 6 inches. Any suggestions? This was the existing hearth pad for the old pellet stove. There has got to be an easier way than redoing the whole thing. The piece under the stove is concrete board, cause the stove wasn't level.

Got the chimneys in finally. One last issue. I need this hearth extended by 6 inches. Any suggestions? This was the existing hearth pad for the old pellet stove. There has got to be an easier way than redoing the whole thing. The piece under the stove is concrete board, cause the stove wasn't level.

Ok, here is the picture.

Attachments

• Upstairs_Hearth.png
    Upstairs_Hearth.png
    85 KB · Views: 166

It looks like the stove isn't level because the hearth pad isn't level. And if the hearth pad isn't level, it might be better to just replace it with something you like.

The house is old, and not level. I have to make do with what I have.

I'm not saying to level the entire house. But it might be easier to install a new (level) hearth pad rather than try to level the one you have.

Reactions: Hesta
Pellet stoves usually have closer clearances and thus need a shallower hearth pad. First thing to verify, does the wood stove have the proper rear clearance in its current position? If so, it looks like all the stove hearth will need is a bump out of the front section. Question - what stove is this and does it require an insulated hearth or ember protection only? If ember protection only, then a sheet of metal cut to size will work. Maybe use copper to look nice?

I'm not saying to level the entire house. But it might be easier to install a new (level) hearth pad rather than try to level the one you have.

All I need is a 6" extension on the one I have. I was thinking of using 2 layers of concrete board.

Pellet stoves usually have closer clearances and thus need a shallower hearth pad. First thing to verify, does the wood stove have the proper rear clearance in its current position? If so, it looks like all the stove hearth will need is a bump out of the front section. Question - what stove is this and does it require an insulated hearth or ember protection only? If ember protection only, then a sheet of metal cut to size will work. Maybe use copper to look nice?

Ember protection only. I have proper clearances everywhere but the back. and I have concrete board on the wall, with 1" of air space, so that should be good. just trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to extend the ember protection. I just need another 6".

And it's a Madison...rear and side shields.

Ember protection only. I have proper clearances everywhere but the back. and I have concrete board on the wall, with 1" of air space, so that should be good. just trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to extend the ember protection. I just need another 6".
Rear clearance might seem good, but not kosher unless the manual permits. Unfortunately Englander does not appear to allow clearance reduction with a wall shield for this stove. 7'5" is the minimum. Cheapest way to extend an ember protection only hearth is with sheet metal. It can be painted to dress up a bit.

Rear clearance might seem good, but not kosher unless the manual permits. Unfortunately Englander does not appear to allow clearance reduction with a wall shield for this stove. 7'5" is the minimum. Cheapest way to extend an ember protection only hearth is with sheet metal. It can be painted to dress up a bit.

I'm not so much worried about Englander as I am the inspector. The Fire Chief for the VFD is coming out tomorrow (friend of mine, and I'm also the Secretary), and I'm sure he'll let me know what is legal and what needs to be fixed.

Concrete board won't work? Although, I'm good with sheet metal. I have an account with a sheet metal place. Thanks. The worst that will happen is I have to move the stove forward some more, and put in a 15 degree offset. This crap would have been just fine if the idiot neighbor hadn't have "helped". He put the ceiling box in the wrong place, and it's all assembled now. We spent half the day fixing what he messed up. Made the mistake of trusting him to know what he was doing.

Cement board could be used as a hearth extension in this case but it would look awful

Cement board could be used as a hearth extension in this case but it would look awful
I've been using a full sheet in front of mine for the last couple seasons. The look is growing on me. Probably because I'm not looking forward to the major surgery that getting it up to the manual's specs is going to require!

That hearth pad looks like a premade pad that just has some flashy wood trim on the wood floor, just pop the trim, and buy a larger pad, they go for $300.00 at tractor supply. Or, remove this one, frame out a new larger one, mud and stone / tile it, do it on site (exactly where the stove is) so you can fill the uneven spots and have a level product.

Home Depot has several colors of high temperature paint...I'm sure I could come up with something decent looking.Would I need to double up the sheets, or do you think one would do?

One sheet is fine. Ember protection only is just a non-combustible barrier. The cement board would look better tiled.

Bump your hearth pad forward and drop a few brick or spacers behind it if you feel it necessary. A piece of steel on top. If it needs to be leveled out, do so and cut some 1x4 down with the right slope as trim pieces. I just have steel I cut on a piece of felt. The heat goes out and up. The steel is usually cool.
IMG_0230.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: