hearth extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
Im looking to redo my hearth since I recently acquired an I3100 insert. Ive been looking around online for ideas and I really like the bluestone slab look. My question is if i pick up a 1.5 inch thick piece of bluestone that is long enough and wide enough can I just lay that down in front of the fireplace opening and be done with it? do you think that would meet code?

Do you know the R-Value or k of bluestone? I don't feel like searching online for it right now. If it cannot be determined then just lay some micore under it before you lay it down. I can't even remember what that unit specs for hearth protection. It might be the good old "3/8 in asbestos millboard or equivalent" which I did figure out the R for and posted on here a long time ago.

Is this going under the stove or just for spark/ember protection in front of the existing hearth/fireplace?

CTwoodburner said:
Is this going under the stove or just for spark/ember protection in front of the existing hearth/fireplace?

Its going in front of the stove for spark and ember protection. I need to extend the hearth about 12 inches out from the end of the area i broke up to be over the 18 inches for code.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 392
CTwoodburner said:

The front is not just for spark/ember protection, it is also to protect from thermal radiation. This is taken right from the Quad 3100i manual. Not sure if thats what this person is looking at, I think another brand makes an i3100 (Hampton maybe?).

Thermal protection must be ('k" value = 0.84) or equivalent material*
Floor height 0" to 8" below Insert - 1 Inch (12.7mm) of "k" = 0.84
Floor height greater than 8" - 1/2 inch (25mm) of "k" = 0.84

<>Not sure if thats what this person is looking at, I think another brand makes an i3100 (Hampton maybe?).<>

I3100l is a Regency Insert...

Here's the HI300 Insert from Hampton (Regancy). I used a 1.5" slab of brownstone layed directly over wood floor. Mine passed because I have the stove on a raised hearth. I think your hearth is flush to the wood floor so that may be an issue with laying a slab on top of the wood floor.

Attachments

• HI300 with slab.JPG
    HI300 with slab.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 342
stejus said:
Here's the HI300 Insert from Hampton (Regancy). I used a 1.5" slab of brownstone layed directly over wood floor. Mine passed because I have the stove on a raised hearth. I think your hearth is flush to the wood floor so that may be an issue with laying a slab on top of the wood floor.

Yep, i dont think laying a slab will pass based on what ive been reading. Im just going to lay down some micore and build up from there to get over the required 1.1 R value that Regency calls for in their specs.

Nice Hampton you have there btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.