Hearth mounted stove top clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesbeach

Jan 2, 2007
Huntington, NY
I last posted about installing an Oslo in a corner near some windows and wanted to know if there were any issues with doing so. You all gave some great responses that ultimately made us reconsider that location. We decided not to go with the installation near the windows and instead mount the stove on our existing fireplace hearth. Jotul says the height of the fireplace opening must be a minimum of 31". Right now our fireplace is 29" (H) x 48" (W). If I install the short leg kit, the stove height is 26". Can this be done? What is Jotul concerned about happening to the bricks above the stove? If need be, I can remove the lowest coarse of bricks, but that is a lot of work that I would like to avoid if possible. I haven't bought anything at this point and I'm just trying to cover all my bases before I make a mistake.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Jones Beach

its not the bricks thats a concern, its that you need 1/4" of rise per foot of horizontal.
It will work fine with the short leg kit.

Jonesbeach, another thing to consider would be the hearth where the stove sits. In other words, does the K value for the pad change with the short leg kit? Good to know how hot things will get under your stove. If you have a single layer of brick over wood framing, that may not be an adequate base for the stove to sit upon. Check with the manufacturer, and find out exactly what will be under your stove. If you need to modify the area there are many experts (not me) here who can guide you on how to make the needed modifications.

-Kevin

Thanks guys. This thing is a big snowball. Everytime I think I'm getting close to having all the required information, something new comes up. But I would much rather be resolving issues now than later when I've spent a couple grand on the stove. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.