Hearth wall facing is separating from wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bo-banna

Aug 8, 2009
Kentucky
Hello:

I am looking at purchasing a house that has two fireplaces, on the same chimney. Of course they probably have separate pipes and the masonry work has no stress cracks. However, I noticed that the hearth masonry facing below the mantle is separating from the wall/drywall section. There is about 1/2" of separation at most. Fireplace and house was built in 1984.

What sort of fixes exist for this? I have seen this very often in many houses, but have yet to understand the cost and effort required to fix the problem.

Thank you for your help!

Hannah

Do you have a metal firebox with a metal chimney coming out the roof.If that is the case when a mason lays up brick they stay away from the wall about a 1/2" so they can keep it plumb and straight without the wall touching the brick.you can fill that area with masonary mortar if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.