Hearthstone Mansfield - Ebay Listing expiring today. Opinions on value?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
I don't know if this link will work but here goes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HearthStone-Man...ryZ41987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The current owner states the original owner had a roof leak resulting in water damage to the stove, which the current owner has refurbished. He describes other, minor, cosmetic damages.

Any opinions on value? There are plenty of pictures, it looks like a little bit of rust might remain. Would this affect the integrity of the stove?

Also, we have a small 1350 square foot, 1947 cape with a tradtional (not open) floor plan and very poor insulation. We recently replaced the windows but overall the house isn't exactly air tight. The stove would either go on an outside wall in the living room or the other end of the house between the attached garage and the breezeway. There is no second level above the breezeway.

This is obviously a larger stove (80,000 BTUs). Should I rule it out on that basis alone or is it possible to run it in such a way that it wouldn't overheat the house? Even if you could do this would that be inefficient and therefore not cost effective? I realize my ignorance is showing here but hey, that's what this forum is for.

Also, if anyone else here is interested (i.e.: already bidding), please advise. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

BTW, how do Hearthstone Soapstone stoves compare to Woodstock's? Woodstock's seem more expensive. Additionally, they have a catalytic converter which makes burning miscellaneous paper (at least the colored stuff) problematic. There were only a few Tribute reviews here. Off to check for any on the Mansfield. I know Woodstock is very highly thought of but I like the idea of not having to clean and replace the catalytic converter (in addition to the paper burning issue).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
~Cath

Also on the woodstock, the clearances to combustibles were much higher. Different looks too. This mansfield experienced pretty heavy water damage to warrant repainting the cast iron. The guy appears to have simply masked off the stone panels and sprayed it with a can and had a few screw ups. Likely only cosmetic surface rust as far as integrity of the iron work. The discoloration of the stone is not abnormal as my brand new heritage has some brown colors mixed in with the grey stone.

I am impressed that the guy tipped it over on its back. Note he also removed the EPA label tag. Not sure if that will be a problem for your inspector, it's kinda like taking the VIN plate off of a car.

I have 1700 SF of ranch style home and thought that the mansfield was too big so I went with Heritage. Lots of reviews for these stoves in the review section.

I like the idea of smaller clearances. I didn't notice the paint on the stone. Good eye! For the fun of it I have asked him about the EPA tag, but I don't think I'm interested anymore.
~Cath

I saw that stove when they first listed it. My first impression was that it had been in a fire and got hosed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.