Hearthstone Parts Problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

undy

Mar 6, 2014
South Wisconsin
I bought a new Hearthstone Bennington wood stove for our house several years ago from a nearby dealer. Last summer as I was preparing it for the winter (new gaskets, etc.), I found the lower air inlet had burned out badly. Rather than a tiny orifice, it was 1" x 2" open! I called the dealer, only to be told that they didn't really have a parts department but "someone would call me back later". So I called Hearthstone.

Their customer service guy told me that I'd have to order the part from some dealer, but warned that the part was backordered until mid-November (of 2013, I assumed). But he did get me drawings of the part in order that I could try and make one on my own. So I called another local dealer who was quite helpful and ordered the part for me.

Well, I made up my little part, and it seems to work more or less. But now the inner grate has cracked and deformed. Whether the "aftermarket" air inlet caused this second failure, I can't say. Worse yet, six months later and I still haven't gotten the part from Hearthstone.

I've written to Hearthstone's Customer Service department three times since December trying to find out what's going on, but I haven't even gotten a reply. I'm bringing this up to find out if others have had similar experiences with Hearthstone? Perhaps buyers should be warned and beware.??

Our previous stove was purchased new by my Mom in 1970 and it still works fine in my woodshop. We replaced it with the Bennington because this one was supposed to be more efficient. Am I wrong to expect that an expensive cast-iron wood stove should last longer than 10 years before it goes obsolete due to part/s availability?

So far, I'm very disappointed. Any input is most welcome.

Oh boy, I've been reading a bit further and already I came across this:

I purchased the manchester wood stove and have nothing with problems. I bought the stove in Oct of 2013 and it broke in November of 2013. I called for a warranty repair in Dec 2013 and and still waiting for repair in Feb of 2014. There is a problem with the metal plate on the side loading door that causes it to warp out of shape. In addition to that the hinge assembly also is faulty as the door falls off and chips that enamel finish. In my opinion, hearthstone is not a reputable company to purchase from since they do not service their products and rely solely on the dealers to fix them. I am still waiting for a fix and have filed a small claims suit to replace the stove since the dealer tapped the body and used the wrong thread insert on the stove. Now the lower dorr does not seal at all. In short, having to wait three months to get your stove fixed under warranty is not what you want to deal with.

After many times speaking with hearthstone customer service(which I believe is a one man show consisting of Ray Mayer), I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling of a place that takes pride in what they build.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...arthstone-manchester-wood-stove.115118/page-3

Thanks BrotherBart,

Both Hearthstone and the dealer had indicated that they'd likely cover it under warranty, so I have been reluctant to place any other order. Plus, unless they happen to have the part in stock, they'll be backordered too I'd assume. Maybe I'll drop them a line and just check anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.