Heat Form Mark C OLD steel fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueskychx

Mar 8, 2007
I am remodeling an old cabin. My neighbor has the best fireplace in the world from the 30's (see photo attached). Boy, it really puts out the heat. It is a thick steel insert and the rock vents on top feel like a blower (but no blower ... natural heat flow). There are low rock vents on each side and the air comes in cold. It gets so hot it runs us out of the room sometimes.

An old guy in the area told me he thought it was a Heat Form (heatilator???). Heatilator told me they thought it was an old Mark C that they dont make anymore.

Anyway, I would love to find one. If any manufactuor makes something like it ... I would love to know about them. I appreciate any input any one has regarding this. [/size][/size]

Attachments

• IMG_6553.JPG
    IMG_6553.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,310
Definitely looks like a heatform style unit, can't give any better idea than that. Those were great heaters for their day, and probably a significant improvement over a standard stone fireplace, but they aren't up to modern standards. It probably does throw the heat out, but also it probably makes you throw a huge amount of wood IN - probably has an efficiency on the order of 50% if you're lucky.

I'd suggest going for an "EPA approved" fireplace or a modern insert (probably the insert if you already have a fireplace) that will probably not be as big and impressive looking, but will throw out more heat, while burning half the wood that your neighboor does - and putting out a lot less smoke while doing it.

Gooserider

Vestal still makes them. www.vestalmfg.com Like the last post said, they are not very efficient, but if an open fireplace is what you want it will provide heat as long as there is a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.