Heating a 1400sqft Workshop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattbee

Nov 30, 2021
Michigan
Hi all!

New here and looking for some advice. I’m currently restoring a 1400sqft work shop and want to put a wood burner in it to use to heat it. I’m currently looking at two stoves. A friend of mine has a Bat Cave (Carolina Stove) that he’d sell me cheap (wants it out of his way) And I also found a Dovre 300HC on my local Craigslist that seems reasonably price for its size. Anyone have any input on these heaters or any other ones that I should look into? Thanks!

The ceilings are 9ft tall for the first 9ft of the shop, then 14ft tall for the next 33ft. Shop is 42ft wide. It will be insulated

The ceilings are 9ft tall for the first 9ft of the shop, then 14ft tall for the next 33ft. Shop is 42ft wide. It will be insulated
Get as big as you can that's allot of space. Also depending upon what it is used for a woodstove may not be allowed by code. If it is a garage or will have gasoline or any flammable vapors it isn't allowed anywhere in the US. Woodshops are allowed in some areas not others

Something like these may be better aside from the cost of the electricity. You could just have radiant/forced air heat in one area where you need it instead of trying to heat the whole thing.

That stove will suck up a lot of wood.

Thanks for the reply’s. I’m eventually going to put a hanging natural gas heater in, but am waiting for the gas company to install the line. They are so behind I don’t expect it to be in this winter. Once that’s in I will use the natural gas heater to supplement the heat when I’m not using the wood burner. The wood burner will only be used independently this winter while I’m working on the restoration. I mainly need it to get it above 40 degrees to seal the floor aswell