Heavy creosote build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I appreciate all of you who go out pf there way tp help people learn about this craft.
It's great that this community of people exist. I don't expect kid gloves at all when I am being corrected, but there's no need to be rude about it, and I am not trying to contradict myself. I was simply stating that, that is what I have been told from every single old timer or wood burner I have ever spoken to. I am here to have fun, share my story,and gain more knowledge on this subject so I can become skilled at operating a wood stove with the CORRECT and safest practices. Please do not think I am ignorant. Even if I think I know the answer to something I will still ask if I see one of you make a comment that goes against what I have always heard to be true from people with more experience than I. If I have been misinformed my whole life, then I am glad that I learned the otherwise.
After seeing many posts from Jan for a long time I am positive they didn't mean to be rude it just came off wrong. But yes many old-timers in the east believe burning pine is bad and will create creosote. It simply is not true. Pine in general does not have the btus of most hardwoods simply because it is not as dense. But that low density also means it dries fast which is good when you are starting out. It is also how it got it's bad name. People would burn wet hardwoods all year filling the chimney with creosote and at then when they ran out of hardwood they would throw in some pine they had laying around and the chimney would catch fire. It did this because the pine was actually burning hot the way it should and it was actually the hardwood that caused the problem. But that's not how they saw it.

That makes a lot of sense, sry for taking it the wrong way. I have a lot of pine that has been cut for mutliple years, I use it for my fire pit. I probably have 5 or 6 cords lying around all over the place. Looks like I'm back in business then.