Hedge Fireworks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I spent some time making a few bows of osage, and did some research on what makes osage so unique.

Osage contains a high concentration of latex (rubber base). Latex is what makes it last forever and never rot, latex is what makes the sap nasty and latex is what makes the fireworks when you burn it. I had some I had cut to make bows from and it was too twisted and knarled to make bows, so I cut it for use in my open fireplace. I only burned one log of that - just too much popping and spitting going on. Now that I have an insert, I may burn the rest of it!

Ok so I spent some time making a few bows of osage, and did some research on what makes osage so unique.

Osage contains a high concentration of latex (rubber base). Latex is what makes it last forever and never rot, latex is what makes the sap nasty and latex is what makes the fireworks when you burn it. I had some I had cut to make bows from and it was too twisted and knarled to make bows, so I cut it for use in my open fireplace. I only burned one log of that - just too much popping and spitting going on. Now that I have an insert, I may burn the rest of it!

Great answer thanks

No Osage here in the Lower Hudson Valley, but I have seen Black Locust put on quite a sparkly show.

Status
Not open for further replies.