Hello from SW PA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfjsf

Sep 29, 2010
Wash. Pa
Hi All,

Ive been browsing this site for a little while now, some really great info here...I can't quit reading! Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt, im from Washington, PA. Im new to wood burning. Just had a PE Super 27 Heritage installed. Im on my second burn tonight, first one was the other day was a little wishy washy, tonight is a little better as im learning how to better get a good ash bed going from a cold stove. Temps in the low 50's high 40's. Keeping the house a a comfy 78 degs right now. So far I love this stove! Im really curious to see how well she performs in the lower temps. A little bit about my setup...PE Super 27 as stated venting into a existing chimney. Existing chimney is an exterior 7" x 11", terracotta lined. So far I have no problems with draft so im hoping it stays that way. My budget restricted me from installing a full insulated SS liner. If a draft problem occurs, a liner will be in store for next season. I do have one question...after the initial fire this evening, which I let burn down to hot coals, i threw in 4 splits of well seasoned elm. Once I tossed the splits in a turned the damper up to start and let it ride that way until it appeared that the wood was completely engulfed (sp?) in flames, the ends were starting to turn into hot coals, then I backed it down to High, after about 10 mins, i backed it down to med high, then I started to notice some smoke in the room and the smoke alarm upstairs going off. Not from wood smoke but smoke that smelled like stove paint burning. My question is, did I get te stove too hot too quick or is it just more of the initial paint curing smell? I dont have a stove thermo yet but will be getting one here soon before I attempt another burn with seasoned hardwood.

Thanks all and a pleasure to be in the company of some experienced wood burners.

Welcome. That sounds like the paint curing, you didn't do anything wrong. Next fire open up a window or two and let the stove get hot. That should be the end of the smell.

Sounds like stove paint if you get the chemical smell also. When I broke my stove I got some stink after a few fires also because I never got it hot enough during the breakin fire cause i was still learning.

Welcome from another PA burner up on the lake

Charlie

Thanks guys, I figured it was probably paint curing but it was the smoke that had me worried. Are there any specific online retailers that this forum deals with that sell accesories (therms, rakes, ash buckets, etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.