Hello Gentlemen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocoeeg

Hearth Supporter
Sep 10, 2009
My first time visiting here is my story..
.If this has been answered before I am sorry. Here it goes.

I want to install a fireplace insert in an old fireplace at my girldfreinds house to supplement the heat. There is an existing fireplace with unlined brick chimney already existing kinda old but not in awful shape. . The chimney was truncated about 1 foot below the roofline. What I want to do it clean the heck out of that chimney, install 6 or 8" single wall flue pipe all the way to just below the end of the chimney in the attic and then double wall/vent kit through the roof to the outside world.

I know lots of people suggest double wall class A all the way up but that stuff is super expensive. If the pipe is in an existing chimney with 4 or 5 inches of clearance around it why could you not use single wall. They call for an 18" clearance to combustibles when using single wall, there really are no combustibles inside that unlined chimney if it is super clean. Times are tough and I need to do this as inexpensively as possible, but still be safe about it. I don't see why this wouldn't be safe. We are in Chattanooga so it is not like this will be a super hard working set-up. Can I do it with single wall safely? Why would regular old single wall not be safe? I am a bit ignorant on this subject som please educate me.

Thanks for your help looks like a great forum.
Chris
Oh PS. the house is in a small rural county in NW Georgia, codes do not apply there so I don't think that is an issue.

Single wall will corrode quickly and easily in that environment and you would never know. I know the urge to do things as inexpensively as possible is very strong, but as I've said before on here: remember that when you heat with wood, you are inviting fire into your home. Expensive though it may be, you want to invite fire into your home as safely as possible. Yes, Class A is expensive, but it is rated for chimney fires up to 2100F, and it will not corrode like single wall.

Edit: I read that thinking you meant single wall (black) stove pipe. My bad if you meant a single wall stainless liner.

some fast points then back to work for me.

Single wall stainless is fine, in a un lined brick chimney you need to insulate the liner. Warmer climates promote creosote due to decreased draft and lower burning temps. Chimney fires are the problem, and with stud framing against the brick chimney is the issue. Flue gas is corrosive, and will eat regular stove pipe. It needs to be stainless. Rigid or a roll of flex will do.

Use a anchor plate to connect double wall to the existing chimney, then drop the liner from the bottom of the anchor plate to the appliance. The double wall needs to penetrate the building and must meet the 10/2/3 rule. 2 foot above anything within 10' on the horizontal plane. No less then 3 foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.