Help a brother out, please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesseg

Nov 14, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
I have a chimney with brick fireplace in my home. The chimney is cracked so the repair man recommended I get an insert and run pipe up the chimney. I purchased a wood stove, freestanding, and am going to put it into the fireplace and run the pipe that came with it, double wall, up the chimney and out the top. My question is that the dampener is smaller than the diameter of the pipe. I think I need to take out the dampener and remove a row or two of brick inside the fireplace. Am I screwing up by doing this? I can't see any other way to get the pipe up the chimney. Thanks.

You are running double wall pipe inside a masonry chimney? Do you have pics of the install? Welcome to hearth.

As long as your not ever going to use it as a fireplace again your OK. The brink behind the firebox is the smoke shelf and is usually made with firebrick that is soft and easy to remove. You will want to remove the damper and make a block-off plate.

Thanks for the responses. I'm never going to use the firebox again without the freestanding stove, it is not efficient. What can I make the block off plate with? I've read that I can use rigid insulation for that, but am not sure. Is there something specific you'd recommend?

You need to install a stainless steel chimney liner. Double wall stove pipe is not approved for that application.

When you say your chimney is cracked, am assuming that means the clay liner has cracks and is therefore compromised. A flexible SS liner would be best but it MUST be insulated in this situation, because of the cracks in the chimney (liner co will provide appropriate insulation).

Rigid insulation (foam or the like) for the block off plate is NOT an appropriate material, Temps in 100'sF are possible. Most commonly used is thin gauge sheet steel, and insulation like Roxul or rockwool (firesafe) is placed above the block-off plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.