Help a newbie? Missing piece!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dystopias

Dec 19, 2011
Denver CO
Hello, I recently bought a house which has a wood burning stove in a back room. I'd like to get it working. It all looks fine to me except for the area where the stovepipe meets the ceiling. It seems like something should go there. I thought I would ask people who know their stuff rather than just wrap it in duct tape. I am thinking i need a reducer? But the sizes seemed odd. I measured the circumfrences of the pipes and calculated their diameters. The pipe coming out of the celing has a diamater of roughly 6.1 inches. The pipe coming up from the stove has a diamater of roughly 6.88 inches.

Can someone please help me figure this out? As you can tell, this is my first time ever dealing with stoves!

Thanks,

Mitchell

here is a link to full size pictures of what i'm working with:

http://imgur.com/a/93HEA

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 311
The experts will be along shortly but it looks like you have double wall pipe and the piece you are missing is a trim piece not something you need to burn, some one will correct me if I am wrong.

I think Oldspark is right. What you see is a short section of single wall pipe above a longer section of double wall pipe. I think that indoors it is not uncommon to use all single wall pipe. single wall pipe gets hotter than double wall which is Ok inside because it gives off heat to the house. Outside you always use double wall to keep the pipe warm and miminize buildup inside the pipe.

I would have a chimney sweep come clean and inspect before you use the stove. A good sweep should be able to tell you if the system is OK to use, and you probably need a cleaning anyway. I guess you want a sweep that is also a qualified installer. In my opinion it is worth the money to be sure you are safe to burn.

My brother and i moved the stove into position and saw that the pipe is clean. But while doing that we had to angle it in so that the ceiling piece went into the stovepipe - it didn't seem like it was a tight enough fit to seal - as in i'm concerned about smoke coming out from between the two pipes. does that make sense? If that is the case i'm not sure how a trim piece would fix that . . .

dystopias said:
My brother and i moved the stove into position and saw that the pipe is clean. But while doing that we had to angle it in so that the ceiling piece went into the stovepipe - it didn't seem like it was a tight enough fit to seal - as in i'm concerned about smoke coming out from between the two pipes. does that make sense? If that is the case i'm not sure how a trim piece would fix that . . .

You probably won't get a lot of smoke out of that seam
once the stack starts to draft well...
It'll suck air in as the draft pulls past it...
The trim piece will hide the inner section of pipe.
It won't seal it tightly. I don't think you have too
much smoke to worry about...

Funny, I just posted this pic for another thread. It looks like the trim band was never installed.

Attachments

• selkirk dsp.jpg
    selkirk dsp.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 202
I will let others address your direct question as I have a few questions:

1. You said you 'moved the stove into place' = On that right side towards the house wall, have you allowed manufacturer specs as far a clearance to combustibles? The photo might be deceiving......

2. It would appear this install is on an attached porch. I'm wondering what the height is of your chimney from the highest point on the house roof?

Shari said:
I will let others address your direct question as I have a few questions:

1. You said you 'moved the stove into place' = On that right side towards the house wall, have you allowed manufacturer specs as far a clearance to combustibles? The photo might be deceiving......

2. It would appear this install is on an attached porch. I'm wondering what the height is of your chimney from the highest point on the house roof?

when we moved in, the stove and pipe attached to it were not sitting on the tile pad on which it now sits. The ceiling parts were already installed. We just moved the stove so that it was underneath.

You are right that it is on an attached porch. I'm not sure how tall it is relative to the highest point of the roof. It is an attached porch that is off an attached porch (yes, it is kind of weird) so it is seperated from the house quite a bit. the chimney is also pretty tall, i'm guessing eight to ten feet.

dystopias said:
when we moved in, the stove and pipe attached to it were not sitting on the tile pad on which it now sits. The ceiling parts were already installed. We just moved the stove so that it was underneath.

What do your stove specs call for for clearances?

So i just had a fireplace guy out to give me a price on getting an insert into the existing fireplace and i asked him to look at the stove. Evidently you guys are right, it is not missing anything! thanks for your help, i'm trying to learn all this stuff as I go. I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes!

-Mitchell

dystopias said:
So i just had a fireplace guy out to give me a price on getting an insert into the existing fireplace and i asked him to look at the stove. Evidently you guys are right, it is not missing anything! thanks for your help, i'm trying to learn all this stuff as I go. I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes!

-Mitchell

Sounds as if you are probably ok then. The trim band makes it look finshed, makes it look nicer. But it isn't absolutely necessary and the absence of it is not a safety issue. Someone didn't want to spend the $7 or whatever they cost. You can actually make one without too much effort, paint it flat black and connect the ends with a small sheet metal screw. All they do is cover up that intersection of the stovepipe and chimney adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.