HELP!, Anyone else having problems unscrewing the clean out tee cap off of duravent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
I can turn it but it won't come off. What are my options? Anyone?

Are you trying to remove the cap from the T, or
trying to remove the entire Cleanout T from
the rest of the deal?

Just trying to unscrew the cap to clean out the tee. Just had it off a couple of weeks ago to give it a vacuum.

K - wasn't clear on what you were doing there.

Sometimes moisture and condensation can make it tough to remove.
Turning it never does much from my experience. At times
I've had to tap it in the same manner you would tap a stubborn
metal cover on a glass jar. Should be able to pull it down
after a few solid taps around the edges. If all else fails,
a giant pair of channel lock pliers has done the trick for me.

If you sealed the cap with silicon on the inside of the joint, it could be silicon rubberized goop in the slot preventing the cap from easily sliding off.

I didn't silicone that part.

I have the same problem with mine.

What I have found is you need to turn it so the slide tabs are aligned with the open screw section. Then twist and pull it in a downward manner to wiggle it off.

Once you do get it off, I used a small dab of hi-temp grease on the "threads". Hopefully next time it will come off easier.

I think it becomes "tight" due to heating and contracting as you burn.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

righty tighty - lefty loosy!

Wanna use this??

Eric

Attachments

• P1040415.JPG
    P1040415.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 280
My husband has one of those. Great idea! I have cut my fingers and have a blister trying to get this cap off. I'm done with it. I was only going to get about a teaspoon full of ash anyway.

sydney1963 said:
My husband has one of those. Great idea! I have cut my fingers and have a blister trying to get this cap off. I'm done with it. I was only going to get about a teaspoon full of ash anyway.

Depending on hose length of shop vac and length of chimney you can run the hose down the pipe from the outside.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
sydney1963 said:

Depending on hose length of shop vac and length of chimney you can run the hose down the pipe from the outside.

Eric

I think that's what we will have to do, might try that next weekend.

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone and got the bright idea to use an oil filter wrench. My husband was pulling on the cap and it broke the seal around the adapter. Had to reseal it in two different locations. And, cap still won't come off. I was just posting to another subject saying I haven't really had any problems and I guess this is minor compared to some. Happy Burning.

i had to loosen one with oil filter wrench today and then tap on it a little to drop down.was just off 3 weeks ago by hand.alot colder today

sydney1963 said:
Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone and got the bright idea to use an oil filter wrench. My husband was pulling on the cap and it broke the seal around the adapter. Had to reseal it in two different locations. And, cap still won't come off. I was just posting to another subject saying I haven't really had any problems and I guess this is minor compared to some. Happy Burning.

Try some WD40 let it soak for a few. Might do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.