Help! Dryer vent installation help needed quickly.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I'm going to be in the doghouse in a big way if I don't get the new gas dryer installed before the end of the day. I've had all week to do it and the laundry is piling up, but chose to work in in the woodlot on my five year plan. I might have drank beer and surfed here when I should have been doing this, as well.

I can't figure out what direction to put the joints. Should the male (crimped ends) point toward the dryer or toward the vent in the wall? I am using 4" rigid galvanized and have a long run, so I don't want the joints collecting lint or undue turbulence.

Also, is taping the seams where the ducts snap together, along the length, necessary?

Any tips for crimping without a crimping tool?

Finally, the foil tape is not sticking to the metal. I'm guessing it is because it is in the cold cellar.

Thanks!

Ed

Last edited:
Run the crimps in the direction of flow, and tape no. When I can't find my crimpers I use pliers and just pretty much mangle it. Or cut it with a snips a little to get it in and force it

Run the crimps in the direction of flow, and tape no. When I can't find my crimpers I use pliers and just pretty much mangle it. Or cut it with a snips a little to get it in and force it
Thanks Lloyd. I just managed the homemade crimp to your specs, worked perfect. Now if I could just understand what you mean by running the crimps in the direction of the flow? So, air is moving from the drier to the outside vent. Should the male crimped ends point toward the drier, or toward the hole in the wall?

Towards the vent. So the air flows out -->. So the crimp is at the > you could tape the seams I don't think it's nessicary but if you have extra tape might as well

Just as long as you don't have to do the laundry it's a job well done!
Yes, sir! I supply the heat from the woods, food from the garden, almost unfathomable amount of project work on the house and grounds, respectable day job, and for that, the laundry gets done. Almost feel like I am taking advantage. Now back for the final stretch...

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck