Help! Finally connecting dormant gas log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryR

Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2007
I have a Lennox VFGL-18 that was installed when my house was built 2 years ago. The installation stopped at the gas line which protruded from the house. I have no city gas, so I bought a 100lb propane tank, single stage regulator, hose and connectors, and tied it all together today. I cannot get the pilot light to light. I know I have to bleed the air out of the line. After holding the primer knob in for 15 minutes, still nothing. There is spark from the piesto ignition. The external shut off valve is on. The only variable on the log that I can't account for is an on/off switch on the base of the log. I don't think it has any impact on igniting the pilot, but tried it in both positions. I think it is just for regular flame operation, and is connected to a wall switch. I don't think the gas line is clogged, since the external components are new, and the existing line that runs in the house was taped over. So I don't think any critters moved in there. It is cold today - in the mid 20's - so not sure if that has an impact on the pressure or the regulator. Should I hear anything coming out of the pilot light nozzle? I currently don't. Can someone give me any hints before I self combust?

May seem like a stupid question but did you open the valve on the 100 gal tank?

Just wondering is that Gas log set up for propane? or NG?
MSG will be here soon, don't let his avatar fool you he's good with gas.. :)

2nd thought, propane isnt too good in extreme cold, I assume the tank is outside.

did you check your taped fitting to make sure that you didnt block a line? also disconect the gas log and make sure you have pressure to the log.

so the set up is.. tank to regulator to hose to gas log correct?
try this, turn the tank of, turn the log of, turn the tank on, then try again.
You might have tripped the saftey swich in the tank if it had one. 100lb tanks usually dont.

Yes - the tank is outside. My next door neighbor has an identical log. He bought the same components, but had his connected for him and bled(we both deployed to Iraq) and it worked last season for his wife while we were gone. He changed his tank a couple of days ago and is also having problems getting his lit. Since he wasn't there, he doesn't know if he is using the correct bleeding procedure. Might be the cold.

if this was a used unit, pull the pilot orfice out and make sure no little mites or spiders are blocking the hole. There attracted to the additive that is in LP.

Connections are as you described - will try shutting off and restarting, and checking the pilot hole. What is a normal bleed time for a new stove? The line probably runs 30 ft total from tank to log.

What's a good way to find out / remove? Blow compressed air through the line after disconnecting on both ends?

you will hear air if its bleeding.
LP takes a while, but not 15 minutes.
To check the pilot you need to remove the orfice, if you try to poke something down there it will just move the web and the gas pressure will just put it back in place. You also run the risk of enlarging the pilot hole which will increase the pilot flame and that will toast your thermocouple.

I dont think you have bugs in the line, i think you have them behind the orfice. once you get it out, compressed air will take care of it from the back side.
Before you go to much further make sure you have pressure at the log set. Disconnect the hose, and use your shut off your supposed to have to make sure you have flow. If you dont have flow there then it cold be the regulator

Let loose a few hard breaths of air around the pilot - did the off/on thing and...pow! My little girls are enjoying a fire! Thanks much MSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.