Help, first wood scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trudd

Jun 10, 2008
Rhode Island
Like the title says. I need some help everyone. No stove yet but, I've started gathering wood. I got about a 1/2 of a cord of some cherry from a tree in my yard. I passed this on my way home from work and couldn't resist my first scrounge opportunity. I hope it was worth the effort. It only took five minutes but, I was still wearing dress shirt, tie, etc...;lol It kind of smells lie mint or maybe I'm just losing my mind. Made me think it could be pine related, but if you look close you'll see a small branch still attached to one of the pieces in the back of the jeep. Definitely no pine needles.
DSCN0612.jpg

DSCN0613.jpg

And here's what it looks like in the back of a wrangler.
DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0611.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

Reactions: Jack768
Black birch, without a doubt. Good stuff, birch is a great all-around wood.

Shirt and tie - smirt and smie - those things are replacable. Now an easy, road side, already bucked, black birch scrounge.... "priceless"

Love the utilization of space. very resourceful.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Carry some old clothes, coveralls, or at least an old work jacket and some boots. You can throw them on before loading and not ruin your office clothes.

I passed this on my way home from work and couldn't resist my first scrounge opportunity. I hope it was worth the effort. It only took five minutes but, I was still wearing dress shirt, tie, etc...;lol
Bucking firewood in a shirt, tie, shiny shoes and slacks with a crease as opposed to boots, jeans and a tee with bar oil on them... Pics are definitely required! :)
You're a serious scrounger if you're riding around with a saw in the vehicle.

Bucking firewood in a shirt, tie, shiny shoes and slacks with a crease as opposed to boots, jeans and a tee with bar oil on them... Pics are definitely required! :)
You're a serious scrounger if you're riding around with a saw in the vehicle.

haha ;lol While I'm tempted to run with this I have to be honest. Wood was already bucked and cut just sitting in a pile waiting for someone to pick it up. All I had to do was load it. I have my local electric company to thank for that. They've been trimming trees back/taking any down near power lines ever since Hurricane Irene last summer. Numerous power lines across the state were taken out by trees. A little preventative maintenance I guess. This is not the first time they've left some nice wood along side of the road. I've actually seen people following them in their pick-ups while they take down trees. Hopefully I'll score again.

Reactions: ScotO
G
haha ;lol While I'm tempted to run with this I have to be honest. Wood was already bucked and cut just sitting in a pile waiting for someone to pick it up. All I had to do was load it. I have my local electric company to thank for that. They've been trimming trees back/taking any down near power lines ever since Hurricane Irene last summer. Numerous power lines across the state were taken out by trees. A little preventative maintenance I guess. This is not the first time they've left some nice wood along side of the road. I've actually seen people following them in their pick-ups while they take down trees. Hopefully I'll score again.

GREAT first score! Smells like Wintergreen when you split it and burns nice and throws good heat-ignites easily too.

Now if only you could find a stove laying on the side of the road.....:)

Reactions: ScotO
that's awesome. i've only seen one other person scrounging wood and the guy was going at it with a hand saw. whew!

Reminds me of when I was in suit and tie and stopped to pick up some lath someone had thrown out!

I used to chew the twigs on those trees when I was a kid, loved the taste. That good wood especially for free.

I used to chew the twigs on those trees when I was a kid, loved the taste.
Weatherguy, the one spot where we hunt deer in the late muzzleloader season up on the mountain is covered with birch switches. We do the same thing! Nothing like that wintergreen taste when out in the woods in the snow!

Reactions: BrianK
G

GREAT first score! Smells like Wintergreen when you split it and burns nice and throws good heat-ignites easily too.

Now if only you could find a stove laying on the side of the road.....:)
The equivalent of finding a good burner on the side of the road, is finding a good deal on Craigslist, yard sale etc. I got my Jotul C450 second hand, $500, and only 6 years since manufacture. Sometimes you can get the liner and cap to come with it.

Dave, one suggestion, before you tear up that nice Jeep, get a trailer.

Nice scrounge,
It's BTUs

Status
Not open for further replies.