Help Help Help. Wife is freezing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me if I can use a check valve instead of a backflow preventer on my supply line in. Don't they do the same thing? One is about $50 cheaper than the other.

Backflow preventer prevents cross contamination. They are used on irrigation systems too. They keep your potable water safe when connected to other systems.
As far as check valves go there are 2 types. Flapper, and Ball with Spring from reading on Hearth I believe the ball and spring is preferred.

Thanks Rob, But ultimately don't both stop water from going "backwards"

Yes they do. You only need one backflow preventer on the "cold water system supply" for your home heating system, to fill system and to keep the pressure to it. In the heating system you would use check valves.
Usually you see a backflow preventer and a pressure regulator together on the cold water system supply. In most, if not all, states this would be code.

Thanks, Funny that my electric boiler had neither a backflow preventer or a pressure regulator. I recently re-did all of the plumbing on the electric boiler and as I went to fill the system, I couldn't refill the system without tripping the PRV. I had to go out and buy a pressure regulator just to get the boiler up and running. I never put a BFP on. I am still scratching my head as to why it never tripped in the 20 years prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.