HELP!!!! Identifying a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLASHMAN

Hearth Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Woodstock, CT
I know this is a Sierra Products stove, from some time in the 80's, but I know NOTHING about them... Can anyone give me any info? only thing I have is the half-ass black and white brochure attached... thanks in advance...

Attachments

• Wood stove 002.jpg
    Wood stove 002.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 253
Not much to know. Sierra made stoves in Harrisonburg, Virginia up until 1989 or so. They are long gone. Sold a bazillion of them around here. It is a simple baffled pre-EPA stove and built like a tank. One or two show up on craigslist here every week or so.

The Sierra name is owned by a company out in California now.

Thanks BB..... Any idea as to thier quality, efficiency, etc??? My father in law has an old crappy stove that me and my bro in law Woodbutcher want to replace, but he won't accept anything we have to spend serious money on... Problem is, the old stove he's using now is eating double the amount of wood my Jotul F600 uses... I realize that it won't be as efficient as mine, but if we can do better then he's doing now, that'd be great... Me and Woodbutcher provide all of his firewood, and if you've seen his pics on here, you know we have quite an operation going over at my house cutting and splitting. We just want to get him a better stove for as short money as possible, and I can get one of these Sierras in mint condition that was barely used for $150... What does everyone think?

Like any pre-EPA stove it is going to be a smoker and a wood hog. I dearly loved my Sierra large insert that I burned from 1985 until last year but it could crap up a chimney pretty fast. Quality ain't an issue with a Sierra. Nobody ever built'em stronger.

But the fact of life is that for $399 from ACE Hardware you can get a little Century stove that will heat as well, not smoke, not creosote up the chimney and get a lot better mileage out of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.