Help, I'm an idiot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
So I come in from snowblowing the driveway tonight for the 83rd time this winter and my hands are freezing. To warm up I stand right in front of my beautiful, four-month-old brown Jotul Castine, which is running at a toasty 450, and proceed to take my gloves off. After I get one off, I suffer a complete brain cramp and place it on top of the stove. Realizing what a moron I am, I quickly grab it, but the damage is done. This polyester netting crap that was on the back of the glove has melted on top of the stove, leaving behind this hideous black melted plastic gooey mess.

So, am I screwed here or what? My wife, ever the optimist, thinks it will come right off when the stove cools. I'm not so sure. I think she's just being kind because she knows how pissed I am.

Any ideas as to if, how, and when I can get that stuff off? Do I do it when the stove it's still warm or let it cool first? What do I use?

Like I said, Help, I'm an idiot.

My son did the same thing with his gloves. But he is only 4 years old. Hahaha, it happens.
The polyester on this gloves stuck to the stove. I let is sit on the stove for a while and let the stove sit at +500* for 12 hours. After that polyester is essentially not polyester anymore.
With the stove hot I was able to just rub it with a pair of gloves and a piece of paper.

Wish I could complain about the snow. Got a little bit last night and some last week so pulled the tractor out to clean up the driveway a bit. Just had time to finish and it starts pouring rain. :(

tsquini said:
My son did the same thing with his gloves. But he is only 4 years old. Hahaha, it happens.
The polyester on this gloves stuck to the stove. I let is sit on the stove for a while and let the stove sit at +500* for 12 hours. After that polyester is essentially not polyester anymore.
With the stove hot I was able to just rub it with a pair of gloves and a piece of paper.

Sweet! So what you're essentially saying is to let it sit there overnight and it will sort of bake off, and then whatever is left will just flake off? Have I got that right?

Sounds too good to be true, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice. I owe you a beer - or two or three.

My old dog liked stuffed animals and sometimes when I'd play with him I'd set them on the stove briefly and make a noise like they were screaming in agony while he watched on in horror (hey, winters get long and boring here). I usually did this when the stove wasn't super hot but one night I spaced off and did it when the stove was trucking along. When I pulled the little pink pigs butt off the stove it left behind a sticky pink goo. I grabbed an old spatula and scraped off what I could and let the rest be. After a few weeks it wasn't very noticeable and now over a year later it's all but gone. I'm sure a little scrubbing would have sped things along.

BTW, the dog never forgave me.

Alan

Alan Gage said:
My old dog liked stuffed animals and sometimes when I'd play with him I'd set them on the stove briefly and make a noise like they were screaming in agony while he watched on in horror (hey, winters get long and boring here). I usually did this when the stove wasn't super hot but one night I spaced off and did it when the stove was trucking along. When I pulled the little pink pigs butt off the stove it left behind a sticky pink goo. I grabbed an old spatula and scraped off what I could and let the rest be. After a few weeks it wasn't very noticeable and now over a year later it's all but gone. I'm sure a little scrubbing would have sped things along.

BTW, the dog never forgave me.

Alan

Holy Sh!t... my Gawd, that's funny !!

To the OP, I would think, with a cool (temp, not funky kinda cool) that alittle "Rescue" or similar teflon pad might do the trick. What does the manual say?

I had some plastic melt on my snowmobile muffler last year. I had a can of compressed air in the house...the air you would clean your keyboard with. I don't know how I think of these things, but I grabbed the can of air and proceed to go outside to my sled. If you hold the can upside down, it will spray the liquid gas that is in the bottle. I turned the can upside down and it sprayed and froze the plastic. Then I took a screwdriver handle and gently tapped the frozen plastic. BINGO....it broke up and released itself from the muffler.

My 1st try would be to cool/freeze the plastic mesh.

Oh....might I add the canned air also makes a great stink bug gun. LOL

Mike821

Good call Mike821. I was going to suggest one or two ice cubes to cool/ contract the melt, then lift it off quickly. The compressed air thing I'll have to try (and I will, eventually). I'm an idiot too.

Not so much an idiot- my lesson was fleece and stove loading....happens to the best of us.

I hate a story without an ending. Did it come off? What did you do? I will need this information sometime in my future as we are a family of idiots at times.

I'm an idiot too. I burned big ugly holes in the sleeve of my big, goretex down jacket, and didn't know it. I thought I smelled something, but didn't know what it was. A week later, while wearing my coat around at work. (cold all the time this winter, heat pumps don't really work in Virginia) I finally noticed the holes. Gross, and stupid.

OH, that story about the stuffed animals and the dog is hilarious.

And to the OP, I bet you'll get it to a point where it is minimally noticeable to anyone but you. Nobody else will notice it, but to you, it will always be a haunting reminder. Hope not though, hope it goes entirely.

lucy said:
I hate a story without an ending. Did it come off? What did you do? I will need this information sometime in my future as we are a family of idiots at times.

Still working on it. So far so good (I think). I'll keep you posted.

NATE379 said:
Wish I could complain about the snow. Got a little bit last night and some last week so pulled the tractor out to clean up the driveway a bit. Just had time to finish and it starts pouring rain. :(
i think ct wrote a check to alaska and we bought all your snow and cold weather this year. lol

I think I'm still the biggest idiot -- trying to clean a spot on the inside of the glass while the fire was going and glass was hot!! Still have a light, circular spot on my glass where the cleaner baked on, that I can't get totally off no matter how hot i get the fire or how hard I scrub!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.